Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into using Tile Redi shower pans and would like to know if it's a quality product . Seems a little pricey but looks as if it can save time as compared to a custom made pan made from mud and membrane. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used them and maybe some pros and cons .Thanks Kenny

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I have one of those to put in next month! Never done one yet.
Don't forget to order the square drain cover. I couldn't find anything that was compatible with their drain. I could not get the screw holes to line up with any standard covers.

It's also too bad that the epoxy isn't thick enough to build up to increase the pitch.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
While I might agree, I have installed two and with a proper mud bed the pan doesn't move. This sounds like installation error. :whistling

I can't believe that even a contractor suggested and has installed them by screwing through the floor of the pan to secure it. But hey he used silicone to seal it.:blink:

That sire is a joke, never pay attention to anything on it. :no:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't like the idea of using epoxy to install the tile to the base so it's a no go for me . The reason I was looking into that base was that it's the only bathroom in the house and thought they might be able to use it before the tile was installed . So it's back to mud and membrane .Thanks gentlemen for the input .

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I didn't like the idea of using epoxy to install the tile to the base so it's a no go for me . The reason I was looking into that base was that it's the only bathroom in the house and thought they might be able to use it before the tile was installed . So it's back to mud and membrane .Thanks gentlemen for the input .
What is you aversion to using epoxy to install tile? Great bonding strength. Easy to use.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is you aversion to using epoxy to install tile? Great bonding strength. Easy to use.
Few things , one being I never used it before . I'm also not familiar with the amount I need and how much to mix at a time . I don't need to run out of epoxy .What about pitch ? and tiling the first row of tile going from epoxy to thin set . How solid does it feel compared to a mud base ? Lots of variables . I would like to see how it's done and how it feels before I do it .

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Few things , one being I never used it before . I'm also not familiar with the amount I need and how much to mix at a time . I don't need to run out of epoxy .What about pitch ? and tiling the first row of tile going from epoxy to thin set . How solid does it feel compared to a mud base ? Lots of variables . I would like to see how it's done and how it feels before I do it .
They give you the right amount with the pan. The pan is pitched. There is no going from mortar to epoxy. Solid. But again I don't think the pan had enough pitch

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
After reading that thread I consider the Tile Ready pan a failure---and mighty expensive for a failure---

If you are fast--they could use the mud pan in a day---
If you used Mapecem, it may be ready in a day, but you would need to waterproof it with a fabric membrane.

After reading that thread you could only conclude that the mud beds used were not installed properly. Like I said I have installed a few and have NEVER has that issue. The problem is they did not make the mud bed thick enough to fill the voids and thin enough to all the pan supports to hit the subfloor for support. What failure of the product did you see?

And don't forget the mopes on that thread, even a contractor, said they screwed through the bottom of the pan to secure it. If you take anything away from that thread other than a bunch of hacks and HO's trying to do something they had no business doing, you need to rethink how you gather your product and installation information as a professional.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,677 Posts
If you used Mapecem, it may be ready in a day, but you would need to waterproof it with a fabric membrane.

After reading that thread you could only conclude that the mud beds used were not installed properly. Like I said I have installed a few and have NEVER has that issue. The problem is they did not make the mud bed thick enough to fill the voids and thin enough to all the pan supports to hit the subfloor for support. What failure of the product did you see?

And don't forget the mopes on that thread, even a contractor, said they screwed through the bottom of the pan to secure it. If you take anything away from that thread other than a bunch of hacks and HO's trying to do something they had no business doing, you need to rethink how you gather your product and installation information as a professional.
I actually had a chance to look at a failed Tile Ready brand install. No offense to them but it is crap and didnt help that there were some holes in the curb for the shower doors. From underneath the whole subfloor was trashed and growing mushrooms. It was a crawl space and a tight area at that... looked like there was some screws fastening the drain as well. I never got the job because with half inch glass removal and possibly having to buy new glass the homeowner clearly couldnt afford the job at that time. I would've liked to take it apart but maybe they'll call back in the future.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
TNT--I've been building bathrooms for quite a while---In my opinion it's a risky and expensive product.

When other proven methods and dependable products are available why would you suggest someone try that ?

We are entitled to our opinions---mine are based on experience---but they are just my opinion---

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
TNT--I've been building bathrooms for quite a while---In my opinion it's a risky and expensive product.

When other proven methods and dependable products are available why would you suggest someone try that ?

We are entitled to our opinions---mine are based on experience---but they are just my opinion---
Take a step back and read all of my posts. I agree that the product is not the greatest and am not advocating it's use. I have stated that after a few installation I was not pleased with the slope and drainage. But you have no experience with this product, so it's not based on experience. I have seen no evidence that there are issues with movement if the mortar bed is properly installed.

Here's what I take issue with. You are using a DIY thread versus a fellow contractor's actual experience. And in that thread there is nothing outlined as a product failure. It only describes improperly installed mortar beds and a bunch of yahoo's screwing through the pan bottom to secure it.

So yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The fact is there is no evidence of a product failure in that thread.

As to trying new things when the old works, I can think of many reasons. 1) Effeciency 2) Time 3) Money 4) Better method...shall I continue? I guess that you then still install green board in showers with mastic. I mean that's the way it was done for years and worked. You cannot be using any type of waterproofing or membrane system, when the old system worked just fine as long as it was properly installed.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I have looked at your previous threads and posts--that is why I felt a need to speak up in case someone thought you were an experienced bathroom pro.
LOL!!! Good one...I guess if you have lost, the last resort is to personally attack the other side.

I think that when customers find this thread on Google, they will know who is legit and who gets their info from DIY forums.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts