Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Should we require registration in order to post on this site?

• Yes

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contractors Chat Room is growing fast and we are on track to exceed 1,000,000 hits this month! :eek:

One of the policies that this board has had is that, while we encourage you to register, your not required to register in order to post a message, vote in a poll, etc...
While this is a great way for new users to get used to the board before they join, it also leaves the board open to people who want to SPAM :evil: it or just cause trouble.
The other drawback is that when an unregistered person doesn't sign their post we don't know who were talking to!

So, I want to put it to a vote and see what you guys think.

Should We Require Registration To Post on This Site?

NOTE: You will NEVER have to register in order to read the post on this site... just to post new messages.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I say you should have to register to post. I've had too many bad experiences with my own forum. Not only register but have the email where they have to click on a link to activate the account from a valid email address. Just my .02

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
no to registering right now, but maybe soon in the future.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll never do that. I feel that anyone should be able to read the posts. Otherwise, why would they join... They have no idea what the forum is about or what benefits it has.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
MY official answer is "not yet". While I think it is a good idea to require registration, I don't know if all the unregistered posters that post would actually post if they had to register.

We've only had one problem with a milicious unregistered poster, which is what brought on this question. If you notice most of the spammers actually register.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well if a person wants to cause trouble realy bad he will register too. If someone wants to be in here more often, he will register. So I think just leave it the way it is.
I do like Grumpy`s idea though with just a few threads.
I also say not yet..

·
Registered
10 Posts
How `bout register to post, but let `em read and learn all they want without hassling them to register?
But then if you give them an answer, they would have to register to tell you if you helped or not, and I have always appreciated an answer back,yay or nay.Hmmmmmmm...... don-ohio

U

·
0 Posts
No to registering to post/reply. I am a licensed electrician. Sometimes I reply if I think the other party will grasp what I'm saying. I won't register just to do that.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are you suggesting... that I add an arcade for registered users or something? ;)

What are some ideas of things I could add to this board to encourage people to register?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Oh how about a free directory listing or something. I dont know what modules are available for V bulletin but it shouldnt be too hard to write a PHP script that can be added on for a directory listing of members companies.

We are all contractors and we all love new business.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Another idea might be a members only section with guides for business or marketing management. I've posted a few marketing mini-guides I am sure you can expand into full blown campaigns, not to mention there is content out there that can be shared.

I think you can setup a few topics that can be members only... what to put in those topics? Hmmm...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would have to say let the guests read all the posts they want. If they have something to say have them register. Why pay for the milk when you can get the cow for free? Register to Post. Vote Now

1 - 20 of 35 Posts