Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was slated to remodel a house in my neighborhood starting in the next couple of weeks. I was working with a family representative of the HO who live out of state and had scheduled the job to start in Aug. This house is in BAD shape, literally no maintenance done in decades, and I was going to bring it back up to snuff: Exterior paint, a 60x12 deck, new windows, exterior doors, gut and remodel bathrooms, all new floor coverings etc.

So, since I work solo, this was going to provide some serious work (a 5 bdr., 2 bath house) Well last week I got a call from the family representative saying that while he was out of town, the family had decided to sell the house as is, as someone they had run into had made an offer on it. House sold. I am gracious, not upset, a little disappointed perhaps, but that is the way the ball bounces. But here is where it gets sticky...

The new owners (provided the house closes, no reason to think it will not) sent someone over to scope it out, my wife, looking out for my best interest, strikes up a conversation with the aforesaid representatives (told my wife about how they were going to remodel, replace deck, etc) and she gets one of their cards... They are landscapers (no offense Bob), flippin landscapers...

Well this peeves me a little, their card says licensed, insured and bonded (for landscaping I am sure) and so I look them up on WA L&I and there is no record of their company in this county...

Now the question is should I rat them out to the new homeowners ( I tried unsuccessfully to contact them about doing the work I had arranged for originally-never called me back)

OR
Should I rat them out to the county when they begin to do work on the house they are probably not qualified or licensed to do?? I must admit that it pisses me off that a couple of hacks got the job I was planning on doing...

OR

Should I just let it go...

·
Banned
846 Posts
Let it go. They'll get what they deserve. You don't want to be that guy.

No offense taken. Landscaping is an entirely different skill set from remodeling. Could I remodel a house? Sure. Could I do a good job, up to code, and have it look professional? No fvcking way.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
My biggest issue is that with no inspectors looking at the job throughout could be serious issues for new HO or next one. Risks are too great when dealing with somones family. IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you had a contract that should have gone with or been resolved in some way . As far as the hacks down with them if they wanna play in this feild with out the proper weapons.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not that I don't have respect for landscapers- you guys create beautiful ecosystems that I couldn't dream of doing... (I seriously doubt that these guys are even remotely in this category, they are not even licensed to do landscaping)

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I never want to ba at the effect of my own knee jerk reaction.

In situations like you have, I need to vent and plaster the walls with all my ideas of redemption. That way be what you are doing here. Only you can tell.

When all the dust settles, do what you will be proud of and in the manner you would teach your children.

If that is hanging the hacks from the nearest tree, do it with pride.:laughing:

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you had a contract that should have gone with or been resolved in some way .

I didn't have a contract- I had taken care of some things already- the family is remunerating me for what I have in it, no problem there- great folks, just could of used a little heads up thats all

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Inform the new owners that they take serious risks of hiring a unlicensed, uninsured hack. If they do hire them turn them in.

Do you pull permits? Do you pay your L&I and insurance?

If they want to play ball then GAME ON!!

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I would wait until you know they are working on the project. Then inform the county. I bet chances are fifty fifty they call you to pick up the pieces provided you sounded like a good guy on the phone. Maybe send em a reminder a week or two after you talk to the a - thor - e-tigh.:whistling:whistling

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
I am confused. You have or have not spoke to the new owners about the project? I would definitely try to get ahold of them and let them know the scope of work you were going to do and actually have the previous owners also mention something to them about you and what you had planned and have them drop a line to the new owners about it.. nothing gained by not trying.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I am confused. You have or have not spoke to the new owners about the project? I would definitely try to get ahold of them and let them know the scope of work you were going to do and actually have the previous owners also mention something to them about you and what you had planned and have them drop a line to the new owners about it.. nothing gained by not trying.

Agreed. If they are the hacks you think they are they probably do no have a contract covering the scope of work that you had planned...pick up some pieces anyways...find out what your dealing with from the inside.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Report them or blackmail them. Take advantage of the situation. "No one remembers who came in second place"....;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I know it's been said but call the old owners and ask them to refer you to the new owners. I would also call the new owners and explain that you were suppose to remodel the house. Ask them if they are interested in meeting and going over your proposal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it was me I would let them start the job then I would call you local code enforcement and tell them what is going on, and get them busted. That same thing just happened where I live and the contractor received a nice fine. Not sure the exact amount, but the first offense is up to $10,000 and second offense is up to $20,000 and so on..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts