Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I've posted here.
I am doing an upscale bath remodel on a ski lodge in Utah. The owners want a white corian vanity top, nothing fancy. A basin sink will be going on top of that. Therefore, the only holes I will need to do would be for the waterlines and drain. Faucet holes are already in the IKEA basin sink.
I have no doubt I can pull this off. I certainly have the skill. I'm just not certified to fabricate Corian. Will that get in the way of me obtaining the material? Do any of you folks fabricate your own Corian for projects?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I am doing an upscale bath remodel on a ski lodge in Utah. The owners want a white corian vanity top, nothing fancy. A basin sink will be going on top of that. Therefore, the only holes I will need to do would be for the waterlines and drain. Faucet holes are already in the IKEA basin sink.
I have no doubt I can pull this off. I certainly have the skill. I'm just not certified to fabricate Corian. Will that get in the way of me obtaining the material? Do any of you folks fabricate your own Corian for projects?
When Corian first came out, we could buy it and do our own fabricating. Not any more. Every sheet is serial numbered, and only a certified fabricator can even buy it. They have to account for the whole sheet. So there's no even getting "some". Just have a fabricator do it for you, and mark it up.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
You should be able to buy a remnant from a fabricator, they should be happy to sell it to you to get rid of it.

If not just go to one of the dozen or so products that mimic Corian. Avonite is popular around here.

·
Steve
317 Posts
If you have never fabricated solid surface, sub the job out. The extra clamps, bits, epoxy applicator gun, etc you will need will eat all of your profit and most likely your lunch.

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
I third the "sub it out" program. That one countertop will cost you more than buying a dozen of them from a Certified Fabricator. First off Corian is 1/2" so you will have to make a glueup, this is SOP. HEAVY HEAVY, MUST ONLY BE CUT WITH A ROUTER PER DUPONT IF you cut it with a saw you MUST THEN FINISH THAT CUT WITH A ROUTER!!!!!!! Warranty is null and void instantly if not. ect,ect ect etc
I took the course and have my certificate way back when it was new. Was no way worth the investment to me :no:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Corian cuts with wood working tools, as do all the resin solid surface imitators.

What's the big deal? Running a router is difficult?

You're also only gluing up the edge not gluing together 3 sheets.

Every shop I have walked into is full of illegals. They aren't brain surgeons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do. Where are you located? I used to be a solid surface fabricator...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts