Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling a 36yr old house I just brought in Gawga, a state that until recently did not have much use for building codes.

In this house, the 3 bathrooms (2 upstairs, one on the main level) use the same water wall from floor the second floor down to the basement. I opened the first floor wall and found a significant amount of previous water damage. It looks like a section of cooper was replaced and one of the pipes from a toilet was replaced with Galvanized. I pulled apart the rest of the wall cavity and plan to replace the studs, sheetrock and anything else that looks like it got wet. Luckily the termites did not find it...

My question is while I have the wall apart, should I just replace all the cooper supply and cast return pipes? I have heard arguments either way. I like the cast pipe b/c its quite and this wall is near the family room & kitchen.

I really do not want to deal with any problems in the future since I got the wall open today.

Please share any ideas...

·
Contractor
46 Posts
Marker said:
I am remodeling a 36yr old house I just brought in Gawga, a state that until recently did not have much use for building codes.

In this house, the 3 bathrooms (2 upstairs, one on the main level) use the same water wall from floor the second floor down to the basement. I opened the first floor wall and found a significant amount of previous water damage. It looks like a section of cooper was replaced and one of the pipes from a toilet was replaced with Galvanized. I pulled apart the rest of the wall cavity and plan to replace the studs, sheetrock and anything else that looks like it got wet. Luckily the termites did not find it...

My question is while I have the wall apart, should I just replace all the cooper supply and cast return pipes? I have heard arguments either way. I like the cast pipe b/c its quite and this wall is near the family room & kitchen.

I really do not want to deal with any problems in the future since I got the wall open today.

Anytime I open a wall, ceiling, or floor up and find cast and galvanized....If it's my house I replace galvanized and cast with copper and PVC. If it's for a customer. I'll give advice and let them decide. But, the fact remains if it's a remodel and you're putting in new then might as well put everything new. If the water pipes are copper then the odds are you're okay. But if they're galvinized then replace them. If they toilet is lead or cast. I would replace it and as much as I can get to. It's easier while everything is open. the easier the better. Especially if you're doing it for yourself. It only cost for materials because if it's for you your time is free. LOL. (unless your wife is cracking the whip then more time will cost you LOL)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decison - Replacing Copper & Cast Iron

I worked with the master plumber and decided to replace all the copper (supply) and cast iron. In this case, it made sense, especially since the cast had already leaked a couple of times and the copper was suprisingly comin apart during some light demolotion in the area (one of those situations that you cannot run to the basement fast enought to turn the water [email protected]!)

:cheesygri

Marker said:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts