Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rent a basement apartment with I guess you call a grinder pump that ejects the sewage up out of the basement. Lately after the pump stops running you hear this loud thump I mean loud. It doesn't do it all the time but happened twice I'd say this month.

Is it a valve sticking or something? Is this normal or should I contact the landlord? I don't know much about these systems just know there is a small pit and once it gets to a certain level the pump comes on and ejects it up and into the septic system?

I don't want my apartment flooded with crap is that possible?:rolleyes::eek:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
It's a turd that has been rejected by the grinder hitting bottom...:whistling

Sounds more like it could be an impeller problem starting.

I'd have a plumber look at it before it fails.

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a turd that has been rejected by the grinder hitting bottom...:whistling

Sounds more like it could be an impeller problem starting.

I'd have a plumber look at it before it fails.
:laughing:
I think it's a check valve bang I'm reading online.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Everybody will be able to tell you that a check valve on a sump pump will make a heckuva noise as it slams shut.

I would think a turd pump would have a similar check valve.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would guess it is from the check valve as well.. When the pump stops pumping the waste that is left in the pipe falls back to the check valve slamming it shut.

I bet if you look at the discharge pipe it goes up out of the pit to the floor joists of the next floor so I would guess 8 to 10 feet of lift.. When the pump stops pumping the black water falls back on to the check valve.

I would suggest having it looked at in case a strap or something has broken that supported the discharge pipe. If by chance it has and that pipe is to break you could have a very big mess on your hands...

That noise is somewhat normal but I would make sure the pipe is properly supported so it doesn't cause un needed stress to the system..

·
Handymen are people too
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would guess it is from the check valve as well.. When the pump stops pumping the waste that is left in the pipe falls back to the check valve slamming it shut.

I bet if you look at the discharge pipe it goes up out of the pit to the floor joists of the next floor so I would guess 8 to 10 feet of lift.. When the pump stops pumping the black water falls back on to the check valve.

I would suggest having it looked at in case a strap or something has broken that supported the discharge pipe. If by chance it has and that pipe is to break you could have a very big mess on your hands...

That noise is somewhat normal but I would make sure the pipe is properly supported so it doesn't cause un needed stress to the system..
I checked the pipe myself the vertical run is strapped down solid no movement at all. So there is constant pressure on the valve and crap in that pvc pipe all the time?:eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
realelectrician said:
I checked the pipe myself the vertical run is strapped down solid no movement at all. So there is constant pressure on the valve and crap in that pvc pipe all the time?:eek:
Hey it's your crap ,,,,not mine, I use that line all the time mostly when I'm handing the invoice over to the customer,,,plumbers don't like crap either but we do it for the money,,,:)

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Never heard of that but it makes sense.. Thank You ill try that next time
I've installed a lot of commercial dual lift stations, always piped the discharge piping so that the 4" flanged check valves. are on an angle, it eliminates the noise and increases the life of the check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is supposed to be a weep hole on the discharge line for just this reason. Exact placement and size depends on the pump size/HP.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
So there is constant pressure on the valve and crap in that pvc pipe all the time?:eek:
Not exactly "pressure" but the residual sewage in the vertical part of the pipe is simply resting on top of the check valve. If you ever had a problem with the pipe breaking, you would only encounter 3 to 4 gallons of untreated sewage.. or however much that small vertical section holds.

If the check valve itself failed, the sewage would only fall back into the tank. The valve pretty much just keeps stress off of the pump. Also consider that raw sewage is 95% water (depending on your bathroom habits) and it does not pose a significant risk of encountering solid excrement.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not exactly "pressure" but the residual sewage in the vertical part of the pipe is simply resting on top of the check valve. If you ever had a problem with the pipe breaking, you would only encounter 3 to 4 gallons of untreated sewage.. or however much that small vertical section holds.

If the check valve itself failed, the sewage would only fall back into the tank. The valve pretty much just keeps stress off of the pump. Also consider that raw sewage is 95% water (depending on your bathroom habits) and it does not pose a significant risk of encountering solid excrement.
True, you get a nice liquid excrement cocktail. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts