Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not allowed on union jobs, but were a small crew. My boss is always a shorts guy, and lately i have been too with it very hot. Who else wears shorts? Do you wear your work boots or sneakers?

·
Registered
373 Posts
hillbilly512 said:
I know its not allowed on union jobs, but were a small crew. My boss is always a shorts guy, and lately i have been too with it very hot. Who else wears shorts? Do you wear your work boots or sneakers?
We're not union, so it's shorts and steel toe redwing shoes, and under armor shirts.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,799 Posts
Been in the 90s here, but still wear long pants ,tee shirt ,short or long sleeve shirt, mostly long when on a roof. My legs have not seen daylight in over 30 years.:laughing:

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Years ago I tried to work construction wearing shorts. I just don't like it for a number of reasons. I'm almost always in jeans and tennis shoes with ankle socks. I find that if you wear the ankle socks its pretty cool and your legs stay protected.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I wear Carhart shorts, t shirt and runners.
A wide brim straw hat if I'm in the sun.
Sunburned ears are not fun, and skin cancer scares me.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Shorts whenever the temp allows it. I have worn shorts at least once in every month of the year. You get some looks when you wear them on a 50 degree day in December though.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
Shorts, shoes with no show socks until it snows. I run hot so the least I wear the more comfortable I am. Also shave my head, have all my hair but It helps keep me cool.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Can't walk on a commercial job site with shorts on.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Carpenter shorts
T-shirt with my company logo: left chest, full back
High, Timberland boots with socks rolled down

Any helps get a shirt so we all look professional.

Winter, carpenter pants with logo sweatshirt, etc.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,334 Posts
I guess it's really about location, here in Cali you look completly out of place if your all in uniform looking a little like the Maytag man or a mechanic.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Mike it really started by me hiring a guy as a laborer and he showed up in a very inappropriate t-shirt: something degrading towards women.

That, and I had a few customers mention how professional everyone looked. So, I made it a rule so to speak.

Also, I get the shirts fairly cheap and if someone gets spray foam on it, they don't feel as bad as if they got it on their favorite shirt.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,334 Posts
Mike it really started by me hiring a guy as a laborer and he showed up in a very inappropriate t-shirt: something degrading towards women.

That, and I had a few customers mention how professional everyone looked. So, I made it a rule so to speak.

Also, I get the shirts fairly cheap and if someone gets spray foam on it, they don't feel as bad as if they got it on their favorite shirt.
Don't get me wrong we all have company t-shirts as well. I have one guy who saves the shirts so he doesn't get them dirty. Oh well, what can you say?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts