Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bid where a bldg in nyc about 2,200 SF per floor is 6 floors(C,B,1,2,3,4) We are replacing completely half the basement floor, the entire 1st floor, and after the remaining upper floors, moving a stair case opening/infilling the existing so basically a white box the architect says! I normally did fit outs in my past outs but this one takes the cake for me but just need a little push in the right direction!

The plans are asking for shoring to be engineered and provided by the GC. What trade should I ask to put this on? Demo, Carpenter, Structural seems are my only options. Has anyone hired one of those trades to Design and Build shoring required for a project and if so what trade did you ask to price it up?

Thank you,
Jbelle7435

·
Eater of sins.
4,433 Posts
Generally, one (the GC) obtains shoring plans from an engineer, then he either does the shoring if he is capable in-house or sub it out to carpentry and/or ironworkers depending on what the engineering solution is. I am not sure if there is a trade that is specific to shoring but there could be.

Andy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally, one (the GC) obtains shoring plans from an engineer, then he either does the shoring if he is capable in-house or sub it out to carpentry and/or ironworkers depending on what the engineering solution is. I am not sure if there is a trade that is specific to shoring but there could be.

Andy.
Ok so the shoring could be wood or steel. That can make or break who F&I it. Got it. I'll ask in house if we ever had an outside engineer help provide shoring plans and go from there.

Thank you,
Jbelle7435

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
443 Posts
Don't know your project but the shoring could be the most critical element of the project... ya know cause without it the neighboring buildings will fall into your excavation... Or the existing building could collapse on top of you... You need an experienced civil and/or structural engineer and a contractor who has done shoring of this magnitude before to help verify that the design is correct and the install is correct. The site and the proposed building design will most likely dictate the proper shoring method. Yes it can be wood, steel or concrete but depends on the details of the previous sentence. Seems like a disaster in the making if you have not done this before, don't know how to put it together and are pursuing this under a hard bid scenario. I would pass.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,278 Posts
Actually there are shoring engineers and that's mostly all they do. Also there are shoring companies that have their own engineers in house. Time to work the phones.

Mike.
___

·
Contractor
7,172 Posts
Actually there are shoring engineers and that's mostly all they do. Also there are shoring companies that have their own engineers in house. Time to work the phones.

Mike.
___

I'll help out... Here is a company that can handle pretty much what ever you need in shoring, scaffolding and such. They probably service NYC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seems like a disaster in the making if you have not done this before, don't know how to put it together and are pursuing this under a hard bid scenario.
No kidding. Did the arch provide a demo plan? The shoring is tied closely into the demo plan. Typically you have to do a partial demo to get to the structure, then shore, demo some more, etc. All depends on the project. And local requirements. And local code may require demo and/or shoring be supervised by an engineer on site. You really need somebody who has gone through the whole process and knows it well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts