Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all clean your shopvac filters? I have been using a hose to spray/rinse clean then filters and set them to dry for a few days. I own a rigid shopvac and curious to know some cleaning ideas and useful life of a filter.

any better ideas?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did buy a bunch of new ones, was asking on the useful life of a ridgid shopvac filter..they run anywhere from $15 to 30 a piece. Has anyone tried the dustless technologies hepa vac yet? I saw one on display at the homeless depot.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I knock off the bulk of the dust, then take a compressed air nozzle and blow the filter clean from the inside out. This gets them cleaner than any other way I've tried and you can reuse it right away. I recommend taking this project outside though.:laughing:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I put the various filter bags in all of mine. Works great for fine sawdust and drywall. Filters last longer and dont need to be cleaned as often. Walked into a house awhile back and the drywallers were vacuuming with out a filter bag...a fine layer of dust on everything. The HO was ticked off and said she was calling a cleaning outfit and was deducting it from the remodel bill.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
I tried the water route for cleaning the filter once. ONCE.

I ended up throwing it away. It hardened and became brittle.

Ditto on the posts above, put it in a bag (outside) and knock off the bulk, then walk FAR away and gently bounce it on the ground a little. Then hit it with the air from the inside out.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
First I bang it then suck it off with another vac.

Water would turn it to concrete I would think.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Bang it against a tree, while holding your breath, and hoping the wind is blowing away from you and not back toward the house you are working on, GMOD

·
Working
4,127 Posts
If you use one of these the filters hardly get dirty at all. The problem is it makes it a pain in the but to drag the big set up around.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I use the bags as well....The filter cartridge hardly get dirty. If I am going to be vacuuming drywall, I get the yellow high efficency bags. I have a Shop-Vac....but for general purpose I just use the white general purpose bags. Also double filters the air so yo don't get a blast of dirt out the exhaust every now and then....

The hold quite at bit as well....I probably can put about 2.5 gallons of dirt into my 5 gallon bag....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also consider the filter bags a necessity. They will extend the life of your filters. Never use water to clean the filters. I also use air to clean (also from the inside out)

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
depends on how much vacuum power you need. I typically bang my filters on the side of a trashcan or piece of wood on the ground and do not worry about getting them too clean. picking up fine dust materials (drywall dust being the worse) clogs it up quickly when doing interior work, I'll use a bag and clean the filter good w/ compressed air.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts