Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get this for free but I have to pick it up. I already have a cabinet saw, 2 bandsaws, and a few planers... but I don't have a lathe or a jointer. And I really don't need a jointer, but I would like a lathe for turning. I've never seen one of these but I think they'll do both of those functions?? Are these things boat anchors? Think it's this worth my time to pick up and try to clean up? I think it's a very old one. Sorry for the blurry pic, it's what they sent me.

Wood Composite material Gas Hardwood Flooring

·
Registered
23 Posts
i had one that i inherited from my dad for a long time. For what they are they actually are really well made and accurate tools. IMO its best as a lathe and a drill press, and a disc sander. the tablesaw function is straight scary, and the jointer is 4" and the bed is like 20" long so not all that useful for anything i ever anted to joint. the ability to set that table at all kinds of angles for different operations can actually be super useful, moreso than alot of dedicated tools ive used even. as a lathe its really not that much bigger that a decent dedicated lathe, and its got a really nice speed control. The main thing is figuring out if its been well maintained-for instance; if you try to change the speed setting while its not running, you really hose up the mechanism, there are some little finnicky things like that about them. there are also a number of generations of them, i think they made them for like 40 years and i know people prefer certain generations over others, not sure why. based on that extremely horrible picture, that one looks like one of the older ones
i sold mine to a guy that was a hobbyist with a real small shop and he was STOKED- i was stoked to switch it out for a dedicated tools. if that tells you anything

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had one that i inherited from my dad for a long time. For what they are they actually are really well made and accurate tools. IMO its best as a lathe and a drill press, and a disc sander. the tablesaw function is straight scary, and the jointer is 4" and the bed is like 20" long so not all that useful for anything i ever anted to joint. the ability to set that table at all kinds of angles for different operations can actually be super useful, moreso than alot of dedicated tools ive used even. as a lathe its really not that much bigger that a decent dedicated lathe, and its got a really nice speed control. The main thing is figuring out if its been well maintained-for instance; if you try to change the speed setting while its not running, you really hose up the mechanism, there are some little finnicky things like that about them. there are also a number of generations of them, i think they made them for like 40 years and i know people prefer certain generations over others, not sure why. based on that extremely horrible picture, that one looks like one of the older ones
i sold mine to a guy that was a hobbyist with a real small shop and he was STOKED- i was stoked to switch it out for a dedicated tools. if that tells you anything
Thanks!! That helps a lot. I think I'll pass and keep looking for just a lathe. I don't need another project, and this one definitely looks like another project lol. It's someone a family member knows that got it from their dad or something like that, guess it runs but "has issues". Not looking to refurb a less than ideal tool.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
I have the mark five with the 6 inch Joiner, bandsaw, Vacuum system, extended table wheels and a few other goodies… I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
GC
1,408 Posts
I can get this for free but I have to pick it up. I already have a cabinet saw, 2 bandsaws, and a few planers... but I don't have a lathe or a jointer. And I really don't need a jointer, but I would like a lathe for turning. I've never seen one of these but I think they'll do both of those functions?? Are these things boat anchors? Think it's this worth my time to pick up and try to clean up? I think it's a very old one. Sorry for the blurry pic, it's what they sent me.

View attachment 521679
Around here, there is a market for shop smiths. Might be worth grabbing and reselling.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Looks like a 10ER. There are at least subsequent models. Worth having for just the horizontal drill press mode, as it has virtually infinite capacity in the mode. Come in very handy as drill press. Doable, but not very good as a lathe, because they aren't stout enough in that mode. Blade is not able to tilt. Angle rips have to be done with a slant on table. The good news is you can do just about anything on one. The bad news is some of the modes are shaky.

Had a MrkII. Then about 35 years ago, I bought a MarkIV from a guy who used it to do complete kitchens on it, when the auto plant shut down to retool for new models. I still have it somewhere...

Go get it if it's not too far to go.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a 10ER. There are at least subsequent models. Worth having for just the horizontal drill press mode, as it has virtually infinite capacity in the mode. Come in very handy as drill press. Doable, but not very good as a lathe, because they aren't stout enough in that mode. Blade is not able to tilt. Angle rips have to be done with a slant on table. The good news is you can do just about anything on one. The bad news is some of the modes are shaky.

Had a MrkII. Then about 35 years ago, I bought a MarkIV from a guy who used it to do complete kitchens on it, when the auto plant shut down to retool for new models. I still have it somewhere...

Go get it if it's not too far to go.
Do you think the lathe would be sufficient for hobby work or starting out? Never had a lathe but having one for pens or whatever I want to mess with would be fun. Maybe a bowl or something like that. If I enjoy it and want to go bigger then I'll invest in a better lathe.

You guys talked me into it, going to check it out in half hour.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Would be ok for bowls. It's mostly the long thin stuff that's the hardest. If you want a lathe, look at Powermatic 90's, or older Delta models. All the schools usually went with the Powermatic 90's. They are tanks! Maybe $400-$1000 bucks...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good call Railman, it is a 10ER. I picked it up, we'll see if I can make use of it. Came with some extras but I'm guessing it's missing the jaw I need for using it for a horizontal drill press or turning. It does run and the price was right (free), plus it was only about a 10 minute drive.
Sewing machine Motor vehicle Table Machine tool Gas

·
Registered
23 Posts
thats cool man, i doubt youll be disappointed, if youve got the space those things can be pretty useful. i bet you can find all kinds of parts for them on ebay too. the one i had was a pretty different model, much bigger motor body with integrated wheelbase thing. but it made a very useable lathe, turned tons of stuff on it.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats cool man, i doubt youll be disappointed, if youve got the space those things can be pretty useful. i bet you can find all kinds of parts for them on ebay too. the one i had was a pretty different model, much bigger motor body with integrated wheelbase thing. but it made a very useable lathe, turned tons of stuff on it.
I think I already found all the lathe parts I need to make that function, for like $50. So I'll get my feet wet with this thing using it as a lathe. If I don't do anything else with it, this wall mounted drill press idea I found looking online is an awesome idea so that might be it's future.
Wood Tool Gas Hardwood Machine

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I already found all the lathe parts I need to make that function, for like $50. So I'll get my feet wet with this thing using it as a lathe. If I don't do anything else with it, this wall mounted drill press idea I found looking online is an awesome idea so that might be it's future. View attachment 521693
damn thats cool. now i want one again

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I would not wall mount it. That would greatly reduce functionality, especially as a horizontal boring machine. If your worried about footprint, it's easy to move them around, especially on wheels.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,521 Posts
If you are using it for a lathe, get it. Otherwise I personally would find it a pain to keep swapping to get the tool you need.

It's a space saver. Sno loves his.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are using it for a lathe, get it. Otherwise I personally would find it a pain to keep swapping to get the tool you need.

It's a space saver. Sno loves his.
I picked it up. Going to tear the whole thing apart, replace bearings and clean rust off and whatnot. But yes, the lathe is what I want. Not sure why, just always wanted to play with one. I'll turn some pens and bowls and see if I enjoy it.

Vertical drill press would be handy now and then too, could've actually used one a few weeks ago for a newel post.

Edit: I'll probably get after that about the same as I'm getting after restoring all the hand planes I inherited from my father in law a year ago. So should be a solid machine in 5 or 10 years 😂.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,521 Posts
Making one of's on a lathe is satisfying. It's when you need to make 4 legs that are the same that the challenge begins.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Saw one for sale today on Craigslist.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
I have always wanted a Shopsmith for years when I saw an advertisement, when I got to the location everything was in the original box packed with grease…. Every single box had water damage, we agreed on a price of 1300 when I got it home there was a receipt for $6000, I will never use the tablesaw but I do use the disk for sanding, most of the time I use the horizontal boring and lathe operation.

I would recommend getting the bearing spindle end!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts