Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my Shopsmith because I need dedicated machines. The Shopsmith is a high quality American made woodworking machine tool with drill press, table saw, disc sander, lathe and overhead router capabilities. Extras include a 11" bandsaw, 4" jointer, dust collectors, router table, miter gauge and all original paperwork. Sold for $2087 in 1982.

Delivery is available in the Seattle area

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try changing your ad to "Boat achor for sale"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everybody, I'm sure this anchor will move rapidly when prospective buyers see all the rave reviews. Now why don't you all go pick on ARPlumber or Handyman99.

Or stay here and make my life a living hell

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the help everybody, I'm sure this anchor will move rapidly when prospective buyers see all the rave reviews. Now why don't you all go pick on ARPlumber or Handyman99.

Or stay here and make my life a living hell
I hope you sell it and get out of your bind.:thumbsup: Its tuff needing new tools and not have the funds. I here that from the young guys all the time.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've had 2 versions, mk2, & mk5 Shopsmith's, & have found them to be very usefull for a vaiety of uses. They are great for those who either can't afford, or don't have the room for single purpose tools. I don't know of another tool that can do horizontal boring tasks as well as a Shopsmith.

I bought my mk5 about 25 years ago from a guy that used to build kitchens during Ford plant retooling layoffs. He did entire kitchen cabinets on his Shopsmith! I would never go about doing that, but it does show what can be done with one.

I still use mine in my 8000 ft shop for a varitiety of odd tasks.
Joe

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I just sold mine for 150 bucks. I had the ER model (the original). With the 'Greatest Generation' dieing off in troves, you can get them at auctions for $50-200 on average. You might want to lower your price a bit.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I just sold mine for 150 bucks. I had the ER model (the original). With the 'Greatest Generation' dieing off in troves, you can get them at auctions for $50-200 on average. You might want to lower your price a bit.
$200 with band saw, & jointer.....I doubt it. I've seen the basic units at $500, but that's about as low as I've seen, even at today's depressed prices.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I saw a craigslist add not long ago for one, with a bandsaw, no jointer that I remember, and it was $200. I have no idea of condition, but I have seen them go cheap...auctions also. No big deal really....all it takes for a good sale is a buyer and a seller. If they are both happy, it hardly matters what anyone else thinks they are worth. Shopsmiths will have a place with a segment of woodworkers like they always have. That is, the decresing number of people doing woodworking....seems like high tech is killing a lot of the traditional hobbies.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
$200 with band saw, & jointer.....I doubt it. I've seen the basic units at $500, but that's about as low as I've seen, even at today's depressed prices.
Well then, I guess I'll have to dig through a few of the sales I've been to recently and show you....hold on....first item I come across, just the basic machine = $85.
http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818152110

http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818144291
Shopsmith Wood Worker with Attachments Lathe, Jigsaw, Router, Plane. Model ER, S/N:ER8312. Needs an electric Motor [576](B8A) $70
http://www.biddingatauction.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=818142419
Shop Smith Multi-Machine (Lathe, Saw, and Planer) [9823](O54)
$291.36

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Explain the scam

I got this as a response to a CL ad for my machine. I know there has to be a scam here. Maybe the shipper refuses the machine, and I cut him a refund check, while my check is clearing in the bank?

hello
Thanks for responding, I'm ok with the price. I would like to send
payment asap. Please let me know if a certified check is ok. After my
check clears my shipper will come and pick it up at your location. I
would have loved to come and take a look but but I can't. My shipper
will though. If you can get back to me with your details I'll get the
check out asap.

1.Full name on the check.
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.City, State and Zip Code
4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I got this as a response to a CL ad for my machine. I know there has to be a scam here. Maybe the shipper refuses the machine, and I cut him a refund check, while my check is clearing in the bank?

hello
Thanks for responding, I'm ok with the price. I would like to send
payment asap. Please let me know if a certified check is ok. After my
check clears my shipper will come and pick it up at your location. I
would have loved to come and take a look but but I can't. My shipper
will though. If you can get back to me with your details I'll get the
check out asap.

1.Full name on the check.
2.Full Physical address to post the check
3.City, State and Zip Code
4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
you have cashed the check.

Thanks
It is a scam and I've received the exact same reply more then once. All you can do is report it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts