Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to rent out 900 sq/ft of shop space for $500 a month. It is nothing right now and I will need to build the wall that sections the building off to make 900 sq/ft. So if I wanted more I could but for now that will be adequate if not too much space for me. No electrical is back there so I really have a chance to make it exactly how I want.

The guy who I will be renting from will run his reprogrphic shop from the front of the building and I will be way in the back. The building is quite large for just me and him so with some of the left over space we talked about me whipping out some frames every now and then to frame some photos he prints out. I would also like to mass produce stupid little projects to just have in stock for fun and make a little $$$. We are a semi tourist town so I think it will work out. All this on top of projects needed to be manufactured at a shop then brought out into the field. Doors, built ins, wainscoting, etc.

SOOOO....my question is.....
What do you guys feel is a necessity for a shop? I will start off small and work my way up. My machines will also be small and if I feel they need to be larger later I will make the change as needed. Cabinet table saw, jointer, planer, dust collection, maybe a small paint booth is what I am thinking at first.

Some of the machines I wonder about is a band saw, drill press, maybe others. I have a few things in mind that would be nice to have these but is there some things I am not thinking of that these machines and others you have in mind would be good to have?

I have been a field carpenter for my whole career and would like to be getting into more shop projects but not sure what helps and what is a waste of money. So any other ideas you guys have I am all ears.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,431 Posts
That's more than what I pay and it's expensive here. You're paying $6.66/sf and I'm paying $5.53

Anything included? Arizona, guess you don't need much heat.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I have the chance to rent out 900 sq/ft of shop space for $500 a month. It is nothing right now and I will need to build the wall that sections the building off to make 900 sq/ft. So if I wanted more I could but for now that will be adequate if not too much space for me. No electrical is back there so I really have a chance to make it exactly how I want.

The guy who I will be renting from will run his reprogrphic shop from the front of the building and I will be way in the back. The building is quite large for just me and him so with some of the left over space we talked about me whipping out some frames every now and then to frame some photos he prints out. I would also like to mass produce stupid little projects to just have in stock for fun and make a little $$$. We are a semi tourist town so I think it will work out. All this on top of projects needed to be manufactured at a shop then brought out into the field. Doors, built ins, wainscoting, etc.

SOOOO....my question is.....
What do you guys feel is a necessity for a shop? I will start off small and work my way up. My machines will also be small and if I feel they need to be larger later I will make the change as needed. Cabinet table saw, jointer, planer, dust collection, maybe a small paint booth is what I am thinking at first.

Some of the machines I wonder about is a band saw, drill press, maybe others. I have a few things in mind that would be nice to have these but is there some things I am not thinking of that these machines and others you have in mind would be good to have?

I have been a field carpenter for my whole career and would like to be getting into more shop projects but not sure what helps and what is a waste of money. So any other ideas you guys have I am all ears.

Thanks!
I've never set up a shop but IMO, a wood shop isn't complete without a bandsaw or drill press. Especially if you are going to be cranking out a lot of small knick-knacks. You will also need a decent sized air compressor. I'd probably throw in a router table or moulder, radial arm saw station, and a miter saw station, the last 2 with benches at saw height 16' to each side of the blade. Also a disk/belt sanding station. Possibly a small lathe as well although thats not really a necessity. I'm just going through my head as to what we had in the scenic shop I was working in in college(I think we had ~1200SqFt for carpentry.) Also, you will want plenty of worktable space, Normal height is the same as the table saw.

I'd also be careful about committing to the frames until you've done a few and see how they turn out, They can be tricky and specialized equipment($$$) is out there to get the miters just right. toleranced of 1/128" or better are normal.

When figuring out your machine layout consider how materials will flow through the shop, as I'm sure many here can attest.

Reactions: CrpntrFrk

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
That's more than what I pay and it's expensive here. You're paying $6.66/sf and I'm paying $5.53

You using SqFt numbers. by my calculations $500/900SqFt=$0.55/sqft

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Really? :mad: I checked around and this sounded like a good deal. It is also on main street. It will have a new roof and he is going to run all the electrical for me.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
One of you is in Conneticut, the other in Arizona. Do you really expect rent rates to be comparable?:whistling

Reactions: aptpupil

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd also be careful about committing to the frames until you've done a few and see how they turn out, They can be tricky and specialized equipment($$$) is out there to get the miters just right. toleranced of 1/128" or better are normal.
We are an old mining town and "rustic" is very in. If people knew the frame was from an old mining timber they would be ecstatic.:laughing: BUT, there is a frame shop that hardly does anything and I am sure I could out miter then any day. I don't plan to get heavy into it, just enough to keep me busy on those days when it is raining and I should be painting a house or something.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,431 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of you is in Conneticut, the other in Arizona. Do you really expect rent rates to be comparable?:whistling
Actually......I expect anywhere in the US to be more expensive than here.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Dust collection and build up, seeing what's next door.

What are your short term want to dos - that effects equipment.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,431 Posts
One of you is in Connecticut, the other in Arizona. Do you really expect rent rates to be comparable?:whistling
All I'm saying is my rate is pretty high. But it is a new building with facilities but I pay for everything. No cable line into the place so I need my phone for internet access. I do have a nice advantage. My landlord does mulching so I take all my wood scraps and throw them in his pile. So no charge for that. And he lets me use his dumpster for my trash which is minimal, usually a barrel every 4-5 weeks.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
$500 here would get you a 2 car garage, storage only
1000 sf shop would be 1500 or more plus electric most likely no bathroom or heat available.
Would have to go to 2k sf to get bath/heat and be about 2000-2500 month

·
Always Learning
8,716 Posts
Man I feel pretty good then. 3200 sq ft for $1500. 14' ceilings and an acre of land.

As far as your shop needs/wants...I think a basic shop should have a decent table saw, really good lighting, and plenty of power all over. For just starting out in your new space, decent portable machines will work well. Play around with your layout for awhile until you find what works best.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sold my panel saw the day I got a track saw, and I haven't regretted it. I do built-ins and cabinets, too.
Just bought the Makita for $320 at Home Depot.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts