Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 8 years my 6 gallon, 2 HP shop vac died. I had been hoping it would because it was so noisy. I was happy to go shopping for a new one.
The new models are designed kind of fat with the wheels extending out with covers; I didn't care for that at all due to taking up room packing it in the van and manuvering around a room.
I came across a Heavy Duty Shop Vac Floor Master for household and workshop use. 4 gallon, 4.5 HP, 18 foot cord, 8 foot hose and the design is not as "fat" as the other models. With the 18 foot cord and 8 foot hose an extension cord is not a necessity. Included are several attachments; 3 different floor heads, accessory basket, tool holder, a handle on the top and brackets to wrap the cord up. I elected not to install the basket and tool holder becuase of the size issue. $59.97
Best of all it is quiet! :D
Brenda

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like a nice compact vac to packup in the truck and bring to the job.

I've got 4 different kinds of shop vacs. When I had the woodshop, I used 2 for dust collection hooked up, and 1 by my assembly bench, and 1 extra. All of mine are very noisy :cry:

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Ditto that...I have an 18 gallon 6hp contractor grade shop vac. It's a monster. Damn thing will actually hurt if you put the suction against your arm! Tried it on my hand, said "damn it's got b*lls" put it on my arm and said "damn THAT HURT"....hehe! :eek: It takes up a lot of room, but it gets the job done quick and thorough. Oh yeah, it shocks you too when it's running..dunno what's up with that, but it sucks! :rolleyes: We're talking a real MEAN machine here, hehe!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Best one I ever bought was the tiny one made by Rigid. Sucks like a Long Island Whore and is tiny. The one thing I did was throw away the small diameter hose that comes with it, and plugged in a standard sized one that fits in its place.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Fein and bosch make some shop vacs with some neat features but they are quite expensive. Right now have stainless tank shopvac from the big box,changed the stock filter for cleanstream hepa filter (about $50) and bought extra hose. I use this as a dust collector for my dewalt portable table saw with has same 2 1/2" port size. Also for fine dust i use the shop vac filter bags, otherwise filling tank with a gal or two of water helps to keep the dust down and filter clean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Best one I ever bought was the tiny one made by Rigid. Sucks like a Long Island Whore and is tiny. The one thing I did was throw away the small diameter hose that comes with it, and plugged in a standard sized one that fits in its place.
A long islland whore?lol.I am a working man what is a whore? :rolleyes: oh i know the stress relievers that stop us from taking out all of our dailly frustrations on eack others and killing one oneanother in the bar or going postal on the wife for nothing she had something to do with at all.In other words a STRESS RELIVE TOOL. :Thumbs:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
ppmc said:
A long islland whore?lol.I am a working man what is a whore? :rolleyes: oh i know the stress relievers that stop us from taking out all of our dailly frustrations on eack others and killing one oneanother in the bar or going postal on the wife for nothing she had something to do with at all.In other words a STRESS RELIVE TOOL. :Thumbs:
Just don't mix up the whore and vacuum cleaner and everything will be alright! :)

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Any of you guys remember the old Milwaukee shop vac head that you put on top of your own steel 55 gallon drum? Milwaukee doesn't make them anymore, but I still see them on jobs from time to time. I'm not sure how many horsepower they are, but they sound like a turboprop airplane when they're running.

Funny door to door vacuum sweeper salesman line... "Yes ma'am, my sweeper sucks more than anything else on the market". :cheesygri

1 - 9 of 9 Posts