Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got a little chance to clean up the shop a little this morning, bein's it's a holiday and all. The shop is a little small, - - about 20 X 20, - - but I hope to double the size of it when I get some time on my hands.

The first picture is a Jet 3HP cabinet saw, - - and I mounted a PC router underneath the table-end, - - as you can see, I rigged it up so the same fence is used whether it's for the router or the saw, - - once the 'overhead' door to the shop is opened, those outfeed rollers 'hinge-up' into position, - - they make it really easy to rip full ply-sheets by myself, - - and though you can't see it in the picture, - - there's a large awning on the outside that keeps the wood-cutting process dry even if it's raining out. Setting this saw so close to the door opening saves a lot of room for other machines in the shop.

The second picture shows (going around clockwise from the front) a 20" planer, a belt/disk sander, a band saw with carter bearing guides, a 13" planer, and another 3HP cabinet saw with a 12" Bosch SCMS on top. This 'second' cabinet saw is set up all the time with a 'stacked-dado' set. Notice the 13" planer 'ships' the planks right through the 'slot-cut-out' in the wall (and right onto the back of the truck if necessary). That same slot also serves as a paperwork drop-off for deliveries to the yard. The 'knock-down' cabinets are all well organized with hardware and supplies.

The third picture shows an 8" jointer, a drill press, an oscillating spindle sander, and behind that a lathe, oh, and there's that 20" planer again.

Though not in the pictures, the shop also holds a 1 1/2HP and a 3HP shaper.

Oh yeah, - - and a radio, stereo, telephone, and TV.

I've actually got more equipment, but no room for it just yet (6" jointer, scroll saw, radial arm saw, 2 more router tables (portable).

All the 'home-improvement' type equipment (that's not kept in the 2 work-trucks) is kept separately in a 12 X 20 converted-carport, 2 good-sized sheds, the basement, and the yard itself.

Once I get the time to double the shop-size, - - I'll be concentrating more on custom woodworking only. No rush, - - not complaining.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
The shop's only missing one thing Tom. There's nobody to use all that nice equipment. I've heard of automation, but that's rediculous :cheesygri

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jproffer said:
The shop's only missing one thing Tom. There's nobody to use all that nice equipment. I've heard of automation, but that's rediculous :cheesygri
Hmm, - - in that case, I think I'll head out there right now, - - if for no other reason, - - just to make you wrong :cheesygri (Notice there's a bowl attached to that lathe, waiting to be finished), - - See ya!! :Thumbs:

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
That slot in the wall for the planer is a super good idea. And it serves you double duty as a "mail slot" for paperwork. I often have to carefully resurrect my soggy paperwork from underneath the pile of material that was dropped off during the day. Good planer tip...

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I'm sure the bowl will be done alot better than any automatic machine would do anyway. Have fun Tom.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jproffer said:
I'm sure the bowl will be done alot better than any automatic machine would do anyway. Have fun Tom.
Yeah, yeah, - - that damn automated process can only make a round bowl round, - - whereas even if mine don't come out round, - - I can still claim 'character' :cheesygri

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's a few more, - - in the first picture you can see the 3HP Delta 'Platinum-Edition' shaper (under the windows). The 1 1/2HP shaper is all the way on the left (with a box on top), - - it's on wheels, - - this one is always set up with a 'window-stool' bit.

The second picture is one of the storage areas, - - started out as a $750 12' X 20' carport on 6 X 6's with a gravel base, - - then as I got time I poured a floor, - - next time I built walls, - - then the shelving, - - then finally hung a barn-style sliding door on trolley tracks. That wooden table in the center is on wheels.

I'll be adding another 'converted-carport' next to this one when I get the time (maybe a 16' X 20' this time). Always need more storage for more tools, then more storage, then more tools, and around and around we go. :cheesygri

Not too shabby for a one-man operation, eh??

·
Registered
199 Posts
I see the *Pipe Clamp Monster* has been eating at your place too, or did you hide them?
No matter how many I buy, I never have enough, or so it seems.
Nice layout, where the D/C?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, shopdust, - - there's one pile stacked upright behind the walk-in door, another pile stacked behind the drill press, and another stack yet in one of the sheds.

Now that I look again, - - you can see a little bit of them behind the drill press in the 3rd picture of my first post.

Oh, - - and there's a few more of them between the lathe and the window in the first picture of post #7.

Good catch, - - no D/C set up yet (besides portable shop-vac), - - it's presently set on 'inhale' :cheesygri

Seriously, though, - - don't do all that much shopwork yet, - - just gettin' it all set up for the near future, - - but yes, the D/C will come with the 'expansion' phase, - - then I can 'hard-pipe' it to the future machinery locations.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shopdust, - - and you others, - - if you's get the chance, - - post some pictures of your shops/set-ups. I'm always up for new ideas. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Do you actually work in there? My shop hasn't been that clean since the expansion (new space) 3 yrs. ago.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, LOL, I do actually work in there, it took me several hours each day for the last 3 days to get it in that shape to take pictures, - - tomorrow it will start getting more 'realistic' again. I'll tell you though, - - bein's it's rather small and cramped, - - it's hard too stay functional if you don't keep up with it.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a nice set-up, ProWall, good and organized, the only way to be as far as I'm concerned, - - though I gotta say I know some guys that have everything just thrown into a scrap-pile, yet they somehow know where every single thing is.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pro, your place looks like my second floor. Who's the guy tokin' on the spleef?
I thought that you were a painter, I don't see any beer cans! LOL

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tom R said:
Yes, LOL, I do actually work in there, it took me several hours each day for the last 3 days to get it in that shape to take pictures, - - tomorrow it will start getting more 'realistic' again. I'll tell you though, - - bein's it's rather small and cramped, - - it's hard too stay functional if you don't keep up with it.
I do every thing in my portable shop. (just kidding)

Attachments

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Pro, your place looks like my second floor. Who's the guy tokin' on the spleef?
I thought that you were a painter, I don't see any beer cans! LOL
Yah man, that spleef be menthol flavored :cool:
Thats my top painter, Rick.
You might not see any beer cans because this was taken in Feb, which is whiskey weather around here.
For the summer months, I got a nice fridge as a fringe benny from a subway remodel. Look by the back door in pic 1.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Is that a still on the back porch? Is that a 'For Sale sign'? Does it come with a trailer for Ol'#2? I hate it when she has to ride up front with me. LOL

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Actually, in this pic you got a good view of the fridge, and can see the little smiley mug for my Crown Royal (medicinal purposes only :Thumbs: )
Reckon it helps if I add the pic, eh?

Btw, that ******* trailer is making me hum the tune from Sandford & Son

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts