Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend new/better lighting for my shop? I'm moving lots of stuff around now, redoing things. I might bring in an electrician to get me more lighting if I can afford it. I have to use work lights for basically any type of task. The ceilings are 18 to 20 feet tall. Currently just have a few double 8' fluorescent fixtures that are probably 20 years old.

@LEDConcepts cause you said we could ask.
Light Fluorescent lamp Shade Beam Line

·
Registered
Remodel
33,012 Posts
Cheapest LED shoplights I know are $20 for a 4' two bulb equivalent.

That's all I have.....

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have the same questions. I have roughly 3,000 sf shop work area with 18' to lights. I been looking to upgrade the lighting, which currently was low budget, low output lighting.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many square feet and how many fixtures are in the space already?

Tom
1500 sqft, there are currently (3) 8' double fluorescents mounted about 18' high.

There are more fixtures mounted to the underside of the loft in the back which help to brighten it up but that loft is going to be removed in a couple days, so the place will get very dim soon.

·
Electrical Contractor
246 Posts
You could change the tubes to high kelvin LED that don't require a ballast and if that isn't enough you may need to add a second fixture next to it. Also, they make 4' high output led's fixtures that are made for high ceilings

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! I’d be glad to help you figure this out. It depends mostly on the square footage, ceiling height, and tasks at hand. Shoot me an email with this information.

[email protected]

QUOTE="reggi, post: 8014340, member: 300561"]
Can anyone recommend new/better lighting for my shop? I'm moving lots of stuff around now, redoing things. I might bring in an electrician to get me more lighting if I can afford it. I have to use work lights for basically any type of task. The ceilings are 18 to 20 feet tall. Currently just have a few double 8' fluorescent fixtures that are probably 20 years old.

@LEDConcepts cause you said we could ask.

View attachment 521724
[/QUOTE]

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,943 Posts
When I built my shop, I put in 75 2 bulb t12 florecents in 4000 sq ft at 11' ceiling height. Thought, man, I'll never need more light that that. 4 rows the length of the space.

Fast forward a few years, I switched most of them out for t8 led ballast bypass bulbs. I've still got one end of the shop that I haven't swapped. The light difference is extremely noticeable.

In addition to the t8's in my wifes paint shop, I added 3 of the 4 light t5 high bays from HD. Those things are stupid bright & what I'd start with in your situation. Might have to add a few more for that sq ft, but you'll be surprised at how well they light that space from that height. I bought mine because I seen them in a furniture factory we were removing dust collector pipe from. Theirs were hanging about 15' & were spaced out probably 20' apart. They lit the vast space well.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
7,182 Posts
LED high bays would be my recommendation.

Just installed 4 of them in a metal shop building Thursday. About 16’ high I think.

With that ceiling height you have, strip lights aren’t going to work too well.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,521 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
We're working on remodeling OR rooms in a hospital. I said to the electrician, I need to get some of those led layins in my shop. He says I can do that, they only cost $600 a piece. There's only 6 2x4 fixtures in a 25x25 room but you could use sunglasses they are so bright.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts