Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a cabin out of shipping containers. Has anyone poured concrete on the roof of a container for a deck. I know I will have to support the roof from the inside until the concrete is cured.

Looking for info on thickness and rebar size and spacing.

Thanks
Chuck

·
Designer/Contractor
4,748 Posts
You could probably water proof it but not sure how much weight the roof of a container can support, if it's insufficient maybe reinforce with some ribs?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I specialize in concrete, roofs and all, and I can't imagine a solid reason for placing a concrete roof on a container outside of a "tornado shelter", which I have done. The roof will easily support a 3 inch deck, measured over the top of the ribs.....if the container is in good condition, and you support the center with a studded wall, or shored, for 30 days or so. Need more information to be specific.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,748 Posts
That's a different loading than a continuous sheet of concrete. Look at the containers, they're stacked directly on top of one another so the loading is coming down on the perimeter of each one from the top one all the way to the lowest one.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rio is right. As soon as you put any weight on a container anywhere other than the corners you have to do some serious reinforcing to the point that it's often not even worth using the containers anymore.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
A guy here in Oklahoma bought a 40 footer, and had a hole dug to bury it. Had a welder build an elaborate hatch and stairs for the top and install them...then he hired a crane to position it in his hole, and used a skid loader to backfill. All was good until he tried to driver over the top. Caved it in. Not bad, but they had to get the crane out to lift the skid loader out of the buckled top. Ruined the box.

·
always building
1,814 Posts
Rio is right. As soon as you put any weight on a container anywhere other than the corners you have to do some serious reinforcing to the point that it's often not even worth using the containers anymore.
you would only need reinforcement (maybe) until the concrete has cured...after that the load would be adequately spread

·
Registered
12 Posts
It may not be the answer you're looking for, but when in doubt, it never hurts to run something like this past an engineer... better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I specialize in concrete, roofs and all, and I can't imagine a solid reason for placing a concrete roof on a container outside of a "tornado shelter", which I have done. The roof will easily support a 3 inch deck, measured over the top of the ribs.....if the container is in good condition, and you support the center with a studded wall, or shored, for 30 days or so. Need more information to be specific.
All good info, and helpful. My case is i am at top of hill in foothills of northern cal. Bad fire area. I've cleared ALL around me,, and will survive normal fire. High winds change things dramatically. I have scuba tank and deep pond by house, but want more protection for me and pets. Time to build bunker. I've dug out slope and thinking of two 20' containers side by side (long sides). I just need fire proof, earth, concrete...however. concrete roof is my main concern being done safely. Any input helpful. This job being done asap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts