Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats better nails, or staples?

I use staples, but i don't know what holds better,

Ive seen HOs who have roofers that use staples and their roof is bare withen a year. Thats w/o roofing cement.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Staples were common around here 20 yrs ago, but are not to be found anymore. Staples tend to pump out with temp changes, & on some conditions, tend to rust out the small wire faster than nails. I used staples on my own home 22 years ago, & noticed that some pumped out. Originally, they were all perfectly flat.
Just my .02
Joe

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Every roofing manufacturer recommends using only zinc coated steel or aluminum roofing nails with 3/8" to 7/16" diameter heads :thumbsup: Staples are s^*t :thumbdown

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was a foreman for a roofing company for 7 years back in the 1990's we used Hilti staple guns. The builders would always call us back to repair wind damaged roofs. The roofing company was doing 500-600 house a month, high volume piece work. A solution had to be discovered quickly. A few sub crews were using bostich nail guns. They were not getting hardly any call backs. The rest is history. We soon converted all crews to hilti nail guns. We had very few call backs for wind damage. Nails are superior to staples.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
round these parts, staples arent accepted, unless putting on cedar shingles

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
You guys are so 2008!! Everyone is using GRK RSS screws for shingles now days!!
I can remember a while back something about using staples on a repair job to keep the moisture inside .

How did they hold up to that task? :whistling

1 - 20 of 26 Posts