Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a heavy (50-year, 275#) laminate shingle hold up fine on these arched-style barn roofs...where the pitch varies from about 3/12 on the top to nearly vertical on the same slope? I'm mainly concerned about the shingles sealing themselves down on the near vertical portions. The manufactures sometime recomend hand sealing the shingles, but thats a costly and sometimes messy process. Id rather not do that unless its an absolute necessity. This is in a high wind area. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Will a heavy (50-year, 275#) laminate shingle hold up fine on these arched-style barn roofs...where the pitch varies from about 3/12 on the top to nearly vertical on the same slope? I'm mainly concerned about the shingles sealing themselves down on the near vertical portions. The manufactures sometime recomend hand sealing the shingles, but thats a costly and sometimes messy process. Id rather not do that unless its an absolute necessity. This is in a high wind area. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Are you referring to a Gambrel?

Never mind, I know what your talking about

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wouldn't have any worries as long as you installed on a warm day with a week worth of hot weather in the forecast. Six nail pattern for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Six nail pattern is more important than anything else. Be sure to hit the sweet spot and make da** sure you don't overdrive the fasteners. Be sure the roof deck is in A+ shape as well! pay special attention to deck spacing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You'll do ok so long as you are NOT going over existing shingles. Those strip shingles need to lay pretty much perfectly flat to get a good seal. I noticed that on most of the barns in our area with strip shingles, the wind has managed to get ahold of more than a few shingles. T-lok was the best for ag barns, but that option is no longer available. Six nailing over a good solid deck is your best bet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts