Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on new roof install regarding Architectural Shingle roof transition to metal roof accent on a portico. Like picture attached.
Plant Building Sky Cloud Tree

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,301 Posts
Have to admit I can't quite figure out the reason for your question. You think the method would differ if the shingles were 3-tab?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have to admit I can't quite figure out the reason for your question. You think the method would differ if the shingles were 3-tab?
I'm not sure what is hard to figure out.
He clearly asked for input on the transition, which could in all likelihood refer to the aesthetics. The only other option would be how to properly waterproof the transition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any recommendations on new roof install regarding Architectural Shingle roof transition to metal roof accent on a portico. Like picture attached.
View attachment 516420
an architect would probably be the best person to ask but i think you should tell us the color schemes. i would think putting a thick piece of flashing matching the color of some other feature in the house makes the most sense.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,901 Posts
an architect would probably be the best person to ask but i think you should tell us the color schemes. i would think putting a thick piece of flashing matching the color of some other feature in the house makes the most sense.

This is a rather basic detail.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,901 Posts
yes, and an architect can provide the basic detail since they are trained in design
Maybe the OP should call a roofer and pay them to do the job. No damn architect is going to be bothered with a roof detail which is why he is here wanting free advice....kind of like you

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,901 Posts
Rather easy to find this detail with a Google search

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am curios as to how you would go around the standing seam. If it was flat metal you would just over lap the shingles over the metal. But how would you do that with standing seam?

nicko

·
The Dude
2,774 Posts
I am curios as to how you would go around the standing seam. If it was flat metal you would just over lap the shingles over the metal. But how would you do that with standing seam?
nicko
The people that supply the metal roof should be able to also provide a flashing for that.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts

nicko
There are several ways to do it It would depend on whether there was a pitch change involved. Simpler if no pitch change. So I will address that.

Traditional standing seam transition would be to "lay down" the seam after it has been locked. For the uninitiated, this can seem a little crude, but it actually quite functional and clean. Take a dead blow hammer and fold the locked seam down flat (almost flat anyway). Starting about 12"-16" down from top of the metal termination one would grab the standing seam with a pair of hand seamers and hold it up right. Then with the hammer, lay the seam down. Starting close to the hand seamers one can make a fairly sharp bend with the hammer. Once a couple inches away, the seam will lay down fairly readily.

Recent (20-50 years) metal applications have moved to painted steel and also many "snap-lock" type seams. these two conditions have made the lay down transition one that is harder to accomplish "gracefully". To overcome that one can resort to "z" closures and a flashing apron that takes the height of the standing seam back down to the roof deck over somewhere between 6" and 12" or so, depending on roof pitch. This can be accomplished with narrower aprons on steeper slopes.

Whether it's an apron flashing or a lay down, the shingle roof would then be installed a starting point that allows for an appropriate amount of headlap over the metal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
View attachment 516420
Ask your roofer. I don't see an issue as long as the metal is slid under what appears to be wood shingles. I have a few concerns in that I don't see a standing seam on the metal? If the metal is flat, as it is bent to fit the rounded roof, be sure to lap for weather! LOL. I hope the metal isn't over living space; I would not touch it as a builder otherwise, and would have a contract where the owner takes on responsibility for all maintenance, which I would spell out completely! It is an unusual look for sure, and there is a reason for that! Hahahaha

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,047 Posts
Not that to have standing curved anymore. They have machine that will do that. So rea8not a problem.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Listen to Mr. Latone he is correct, I would not use the dead blow hammer method as the seam may leak. IF you want a smooth transition that would most likely mean that the metal roof will have an offset to the main roof of the height of the standing seam. Use the closure method with a counter flash, it is the best water barrier method.
However, everyone is correct, the metal roof manufacturer MUST provide the proper details as they are part of the requirement for warranty.
Also, I would consider using a metal shingle of some kind above the standing seam. The long term benefit of using metal roof, longevity, reduced maintenance, fire rating and better wind ratings are well worth it. There are tens and tens of metal roof shingles available now with many different textures and sizes and interlock methods.
Just be sure that the curve of the standing seam roof does not diminish the pitch enough to allow debris to accumulate on the standing seam segment. This means that the minimum effective slope will have to be in excess of a 4/12 pitch.

I would NOT use gutters at all in this design, instead assure water is moved away from the foundation possibly by French drain design or other landscape method.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts