Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, this is my first post, so I am a newby, but what does the average roofing contractor use for tools when tearing off shingles? I build an air powered tool that is new on the market and want to get some feedback from you guys. thankx a lot in advance

·
Registered
174 Posts
For comp, square point shovels and serrated tear-off tools. For cedar 4 tine pitchforks. Spaced sheathing I use an old leaf spring from a pickup. I welded a pipe handle on one end. You slide the spring under the cedar and onto the next rafter and pullup. Rolls a couple of courses at a time and rolls them up w/liner felt into big rolls.
Jim

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
For most all shingled pitched roof tear offs I've found four tine flat pitch forks work the best. Tried those toothed shovels and they just slowed me down. Even on 4-5 layer jobs with shakes the pitch forks seem to be most effective. One of the last tear I did was an easy one layer 36 square job that I only had 7 hours of help on total! Did it last November the average temp in the four days I worked on it was 25 degrees, lots of small pieces and the shingles were only 3 years old.

Some years ago my father and his two brothers tore off 20 squares in 45 minutes with pitch forks!!! Last summer a helper and I had around 25 squares tore off and cleaned by lunch time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts