Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a shear, any input, I have also seen Malco has a shear that operates 2 ways either off a cordless or a pneumatic, I am guessing these are a joke. So the real questions is what is your preference for table type shears and why? They all seem to be $250-300..

·
Registered
101 Posts
i was just thinking about getting some shears to today at work. its getin colder and the shingles are getin crisp. cutting shingles with hook blades is a lot harder when its cold. i used my mag snips all day today.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I am in the market for a shear, any input, I have also seen Malco has a shear that operates 2 ways either off a cordless or a pneumatic, I am guessing these are a joke. So the real questions is what is your preference for table type shears and why? They all seem to be $250-300..
Not sure what my table top is....cost me $300 though. I like it as it work great for starters and end of runs into step flashing. Make everything nice and square and real fast for starters. Spare blades for it are in the $27 range, but they can be sharpened.

If I remember I'll look tomorrow...it's on the job site:thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
The guy I worked with this last winter brought one when we patched a roof. I've personally never used one until that time. There were two of them on the job and one was supposedly the better one and it was big and clunky. Everyone agreed this guys little one was way better. Lighter and compact for hauling around on the roof.

He had the 2003 model

http://www.howardtools.com/

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking at it mostly for use on extremely heavy shingles, Grand Monors TL's etc. I have a couple of high end houses that I am building out in the next couple of months and it seems like these shears only make sense. By table top I meant something other than a pair of hand held shears. Something you can use to rip crosscut quick and easy with great results. Anything to be able to be more productive is a good investment!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts