Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got you guys some numbers. We will come in and grind anywhere within the 5 state area of Indiana for $16 a ton and you have to have 5,000 ton minimum ready to grind(cleaned, no trash) We provide everything and machine will keep track of weight.

You charge $12 a yard for people to dump cleaned shingles and that should cover your $16 a ton grind bill. You have to have a buyer of your product though. We will give you an 85-90% product that is smaller than a quarter. If you can get a buyer to give you minimum of $25 per ton, you will make money.

An example. 5000 tons x $16 a ton to dump =$80,000 Grind bill 5,000 x $16 = $80,000. You are even now with 4500 tons of grinds to sell at a minimum of $25 per ton $112,500. Some claim that the price should be fair market soon....which means you could sell grounds for $100-$125 per ton.

Keep in mind each ton of shingles only have 20-25% AC, which is what the asphalt plant uses. Raw virgin AC is $350-500 a ton. It takes 4 tons of shingles to make 1 ton of AC...so you can do the math.

Now get out there guys and hit up them asphalt plants, get you a buyer, lease some land and let's make some money! Make sure to check with locals to make sure you don't get your buggy before the horse. I can tell you though, Michigan is hot. We have signed multiple contracts in Michigan for 30,000+ tons.........so someone is buying.

Remember to promote this as "recycling" and being "green friendly" which it is...but it makes it sound better than a dump.....if you follow me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The place I've dumped my shingles for 15 years (my father over 30 years) has been recycling on and off for a few years now. Back in 09 after the current resident of the white house pumped the billions of dollars in road work they recycled Spring-Fall. My cost then was $10 a ton and with a very clean load got $20 off. Most of my roofs were dumped for about $1 a sq. I recycle all the aluminum and steel and cardboard.

Guessing the place I dump shingles takes in more materials than all the other dumps for shingles in the state combined. Right now they have literally a mountain of shingles down in the pit which some day will be brought up to the paved parking lot for shredding. One day asked about the pile and was told it was mainly rejects from gaf. I have been told also CertainTeed no long takes any of it's shingle remains to the landfill, they go to another recycler for asphalt.

Last week brought a load of cedar shingles into the dump and low and behold they finally started recycling asphalt shingles, first time all year. Last year they recycled for a very short time as well. Current price $22 a ton. The dump has two shredders and a third down in Iowa.

The finished product is pretty small guessing smaller than an eraser.

A race track about 5 minutes from the dump recently sold out to a company who is planning to extract petroleum from shingles so it will be interesting to see what happens to the dump fee's once they are up and running. The lady in the office at my dump said they are planning to purchase the broke down shingles from them. Sounds like no roofers dumping shingles at the plant.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dougger,

Extracting the petro from the shingle would be a gold egg. If we had a set up to do that, it would be much more profitable to refine and ship Asphalt Cement for $350 a ton then trying to sale shingle grinds at $35 a ton. I understand it is impossible to refine it and put it back in a solid form.....once refined it has to be transported like a hot tar.

We ordered another grinder. Got one here in Indiana and another being built. Our grinders turn shingles to sand texture(DOT requires testing)....they are specifically built to grind shingles. We now have contracts to grind in Detroit, Denver, Dallas with more in the works. We are still trying to find partners to work with in the asphalt industry....once the law mandates recycled material must be used on all roads, demand will increase.

Ideal situation is to partner with asphalt plants and start recycling program with them. That way they can dump at their location, grinder comes to them when ready and then they have the finished product on site to refine, eliminating transport costs and they get finished product at no cost.

Thinking outside the box....tired of banging shingles.

·
Registered
408 Posts
JDavis, That is odd because the biggest piles right now are in Michigan, Lansing and Detroit. I can tell you this, right as we speak.......lobbyists are working on making it law in Indiana that mandate our roads have 5% recycled, like Illinois now has.......maybe Michigan is on that same path. Buy the rumor, sell the news.
I know Il is cumbersome for recycled mix. In order to meet specs, you have to use material from the same type road. Lets say you are paving an interstate, the recycled material has to have come from an interstate. If you are doing a state route, it has to have come from a state route. This means multiple piles, and keeping all this stuff separate, and using the right stuff at the right time. This takes up massive amounts of space, and keeping the sheep, aka truck drivers, running to the right place every time

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We are in Indianapolis. We work with Northern Indiana some.....

JDavis, My understanding is road grindings and shingles are 2 different products. Road grindings are used as stone/ag in the mix, shingles are providing asphalt cement for binding the ag together. So even when they use road grindings....they still have to add a binder/asphalt cement....whether it is shingles or virgin ac. Does this sound correct?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts