Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on GAF fiberglass felt? At $24 per 2 Square rool, it seems very expensive compared to 30# at $14.50 per 2 Square rool.

Will this GAF felt out perform others?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
It claims less wrinkles but the few times I have used it, it had more wrinkles than a typical #30 organic... so that leaves me with the question, less wrinkles than what? #15? We don't use #15 so were still with the #30.

I'm not sure on the perm ratings but I have heard the GAF fiberglass felt has a higher perm rating that typical #30. Meaning it takes more water to make it leak.

I have been giving thought to the Roof Guard II synthetics. It looks like a promising product and perhaps what you lose on material cost (because it costs more) you make up for on production (because it's a larger roll).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Grumpy said:
It claims less wrinkles but the few times I have used it, it had more wrinkles than a typical #30 organic... so that leaves me with the question, less wrinkles than what? #15? We don't use #15 so were still with the #30.

I'm not sure on the perm ratings but I have heard the GAF fiberglass felt has a higher perm rating that typical #30. Meaning it takes more water to make it leak.

I have been giving thought to the Roof Guard II synthetics. It looks like a promising product and perhaps what you lose on material cost (because it costs more) you make up for on production (because it's a larger roll).

What is the going rate for the "Rooftop Guard 11" from the local suppliers?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Didnt realy want to know what you get it for Grumpy, wondering what the going rate was, wanted to see how good of a deal I am getting.
If it the same material...synthetic underlayment 60" wide by 200' long, apx 9 sq. rolls..
There is a rooftop guard and a rooftop guard 11 distributed in the U.S by Drextel metals.....I get the rooftop guard 11 rolls 1-59 for 119.00 includes tax. the regular roofguard( smooth surface) 1-59 rolls $99.50 includes tax.
The roof top guard 11.. 180+ $94.00

Probably not the same stuff because you reffered to it by another name.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Isnt the lower the water permeance the less it will take in a given time frame? I have never had a leak with 15# felt, even overnight in scary thunderstorms and driving rain.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Aaron, how about 9 hrs. of 100+MPH wind, 40 ins. of rain and gusts up to 150 MPH. THAT's 'driving rain'. Here anyway, it can get much worse such as sustained winds of 200 MPH+ and anemometers that blow away after registering 230+ MPH.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Well, I cant say I have ever experieced that type of weather, Teetor. :eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Just jerkin' on your chain.
The first ref. was to recent storms, the last was to major ones, Hugo in particular. My sister was living in St. Thomas, when the anemometer blew away, it last registered over 230+.
The second was based on recent experiences. Francis was not all that powerful but lingered for so long that cumulative damage racked up. Jeanne was more powerful but normal in longevity.
The truly unfortunate part was in the fact that they hit in the same place twice. At least we saw the eye, which gives you a break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts