Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing ship lap 6" white pine siding on a new timber frame building with pine board backer but the framer informed me he wants an airgap between siding and house wrap. I am looking for something simple that is not more then 1/4" thick and 1 1/2" wide to apply to wall and then nail thru it, does anyone know if there is a roll product out there that will not compact when nailed?

·
Registered
150 Posts
On the west or wet coast that is rain screen. Our lumber yards around here stock pressure treated plywood from 1/4 up in rips as different projects require different air gaps. Make sure that your builder uses bug screens top and bottom or the little critters will move in. Also it is common around here to drill holes top and bottom in the plywood to dry the cavity

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
You can use sign board material. It is plastic and if oriented right will still maintain a vertical air flow. You will have to hunt down something thicker than the normal 1/8" thick. they have it in 1/4" and it comes in 4x8 sheets. Just have to find it. You could also try homeslicker. Also same manufacturer has a housewrap with bumps on it to have a slight air gap. It isn't enough for me, but you could try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts