Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just painted with this Duration Paint. It is suppose to be a very high grade Exterior Paint, and cost around 35-45.00 per Gallon! Just wondering if anyone else has had much experience with it, and if it was worth the extra money.

G

·
MarvinJr said:
Just painted with this Duration Paint. It is suppose to be a very high grade Exterior Paint, and cost around 35-45.00 per Gallon! Just wondering if anyone else has had much experience with it, and if it was worth the extra money.
I've been using it to paint my wood siding before installation, it seems to have a very nice finish, it dries very hard and covers well. But don't go for their 1 coat nonsense. I put a coat of oil primer and still will have to put on a 2nd coat of duration to cover up knots & such. But I was going to put on a finish coat anyway.

I don't know yet if it is worth the money since mine is a new job. I'll end up spending about $500 just on the paint.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Great Stuff... but costs about $40/gallon and starting next week they aren't going to give contractors a discount on the product!

Goes on a 7 mils and self primes. Not that I don't 2nd coat or prime but its nice to have it as a backup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nathan said:
Great Stuff... but costs about $40/gallon and starting next week they aren't going to give contractors a discount on the product!

Goes on a 7 mils and self primes. Not that I don't 2nd coat or prime but its nice to have it as a backup.
Do you put this on with a sprayer? I am getting ready to put the final coat on my house and am planning to use a Graco/Magnum or similar sprayer. The guy at SW said that a sprayer gives a very good finish using the Duration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nathan said:

fyi- I put the final coat of Duration on most of my house this weekend. It sprayed on great with the Magnum XR7 I just bought. Finish looks great.

Anyway, I managed to get 10% off by just asking nicely, bought a 5 gallon bucket for $202 after tax, not bad. I've rarely bought anything at SW without getting a discount of at least 10%. Sometimes I just mention that I used to have a discount card that expired and they say, we'll just go ahead and give you the 10% or 20%, depending on the product.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sales rep at SW asked how much we planed on buying......we said prolly 40 gallons!
So we got 4 gallons @ 32.99.....just to get started.....lol! Which was enough to finish the outside of the little house we were doing.

That's the only thing I hate about SW is the sales rep crap. They make buying paint like buying a used car. And I'd be willing to bet that over half of their reps were used car salesman at one point!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As they do not make this paint in simi gloss-has anyone used the gloss on exteriors- I'm not a satain fan but have never used a full paint gloss outside.I'm about to paint two coats on older redwood siding and I have always liked using simi gloss outside-I plan on spraying then back brushing-this may be overkill?
Mark

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,639 Posts
Ya, I wouldn't do that. Most exterior paints are flat or matte.

·
Painting & Remodeling
816 Posts
As they do not make this paint in simi gloss-has anyone used the gloss on exteriors- I'm not a satain fan but have never used a full paint gloss outside.I'm about to paint two coats on older redwood siding and I have always liked using simi gloss outside-I plan on spraying then back brushing-this may be overkill?
Mark
I have used a ton of it, and it looks really good. SW gloss is more like BM semi gloss in sheen.

Just be mindful of a few things the most important is dry time. It will set up very fast, which can lead to laps. Use an extender, or paint end to end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
area123 said:
Do you put this on with a sprayer? I am getting ready to put the final coat on my house and am planning to use a Graco/Magnum or similar sprayer. The guy at SW said that a sprayer gives a very good finish using the Duration.
Spraying works well but uses significantly more material and doesn't last as long as it would if you brush and roll it. As far as the duration it is a good product but I prefer super paint because it has never failed me in the past.

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
I know right I was looking at these prices these guys were saying and didnt realize it was such a old thread, I was getting ready to call my rep and:censored: :laughing:
:thumbsup:

I remember seeing a ticket for some Duration in Georgia last year and I think that guy paid $55 a gallon... He didn't usually use SW and was stupid enough that he prolly paid full price.

I remember painting that house in this thread 7 years ago... Funny. :clap:

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
Wow just realised that I don't have the same account? I don't remember opening a new one?

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
Guess they can just close the MarvinJr, I had no idea I had that account. And it looks like I only posted 30 or so times with that old account.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts