Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if I am the only one.... Brand new 5's always seem to have dried clumps in them. I was told it was from the paint skinning over on the lid, then they shake it up and it scatters it around. I haven't used 5's from SW in a while, but seems like that was a problem before, and we always had to strain brand new 5's.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I rarely buy paint in 5's their a pain. But I get clumps out of gallons more now than ever before. I guess it could come from the lids but that means the paint is sitting somewhere too long or the stock isn't being rotated.

I've been accused of it coming from my own buckets even though I can see the clumps when pouring out of the can.

One reason I don't like rolling out of 5's is due to the paint drying on the inside sides of the bucket and ending up in the paint.

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kid working with me opened a brand new bucket, and poured some in his roller buckets.... then kerplunk! A big glob rolled out and splashed him in the eye lol:blink: I think the sitting around and not rotating stock has to do with it, and maybe heat is a factor, or even the plastic buckets not being air tight?

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
I've been told it can happen when the paint partially freezes, not enough to make it junk but enough to make what ever is on the lid freeze and become skin. Old stock would be another culprit. I've been coming across it a lot lately but I've started to bill my SW store every time I have to strain a gallon. Will see how long it takes before they stop giving me gallons that have crap on the lid before they shake it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,799 Posts
Shake/stir your paint for twice as long as you think you should. Then strain it...every time.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I don't buy 5s, they're a pain and I'm too old and too weak.

But I've never experienced clumps.

But I agree with Leo: get a clean, empty bucket, put the strainer in that bucket, or your paint in. Then slowly pull the strainer and clumps out leaving behind clump free paint.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the problem is related to new low VOC paint formulations. Used to be you could expect to get a clumpy fiver every now and then, but for the most part they would be clean. Seems like now days its every one. I just strain every time.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Why would you not strain paint in the first place ?
You shouldn't have to strain a new container of paint, if it's going to become the norm it should say so on the container. I've never had issues with it the past like I have recently. The only time I strain is when spraying, technically I don't strain it but it runs through a strainer.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I have been having clumpy paint and caulk. The 850 caulk I use on new construction has been a mess lately. I just cleaned out my truck and threw away about 10 tubes that I gave up on trying to get going again. I would dig the clump out, start caulking again and hit another clump. Not to mention the smaller clumps that do pass through the tube and screw up my caulk line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
True- the lower VOC paints do not have any solvent in them, as in the past (even with latex paints), which would allow the products to withstand multiple freeze/thaw cycles. Nowadays, regardless of the brand, these product are sensitive to partial or full freeze cycles.

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speaking of the solvents.... I had some trim paint from SW a few months back that ruined my brush. It gummed up inside the bristles, and wouldn't clean out with anything... I swore that one of the idiots working with use got some of the lacquer for the cabinets in the trim bucket. After trying a few different thing to clean the brush just to figure out what was in the paint, the only thing that cleaned it somewhat was goof off? I checked the paint to make sure it wasn't the oil latex blend stuff that says clean with hot soapy water and then after that rinse with spirts, but it wasn't. Still not sure what got in the paint.

·
Educated Applicator
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not an issue here, but I let our paint sit and settle. No waterlogged clumps for me. They stay at the bottom where they belong.
:eek:

Along with the colorant lol....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Shake/stir your paint for twice as long as you think you should. Then strain it...every time.
Exactamente. I am not a painter by trade but painted for a year for a commercial/production paint co. My mentor schooled me to ALWAYS strain your paint. Whether spraying, brushing or rolling, new or old.

I think it is good practice and can eliminate boogers/clogs down the line, thus speeding up production. Strainers are cheap, and do not take much time at all.

Now when I paint, not only do I power mix first, but I strain as well.

·
Doer of Many Things!!!
837 Posts
I'm a P&L dealer, which is also a Sherwin company. We see this from time to time as well. Fresh stock right off the truck and the 5s often have junk in them. Yes I believe it is skinning on the lid. I see it in gallons too, more so in the higher end lines than the contract grade stuff, which to me points toward the amount of acrylic and the type of resin in the higher grade paint. I also carry Davis, a regional company. Any of their stuff can set on my shelves for years and never develop clumps.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I quit using Sherwin Williams a couple years ago after having problems with bad batches of paint, getting the wrong color and having to make multiple trips back trying to get them to fix it. I've been using Benjamin Moore since and haven't had one problem with their paint.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
:eek:

Along with the colorant lol....:thumbsup:
A fresh shake is good for 48 hours colorant wise. So I have it delivered the day before so the clumps can settle. Problem solved.

I never use a fresh shake. That junk is still floating. Havent clogged the sprayer in a very long time with that strategy, & i dont have to waste time straining.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts