Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a hell of a time getting some shelves in a closet tight to the walls on both sides. It has a bad bow in the middle on 1 side and the inside corners are a nightmare. I've scribed them and that was a pain in the rear to no happy result. Anybody as a rule, caulk the edges against the wall to give it a clean look before the painters come in.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,120 Posts
Some will caulk. There are some areas where you have to fit 3 sides that scribing your final piece isn't going to work well (as you noticed). A lot of these are best handled by making a template.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am painting these shelves to the same trim color. I've never caulked them before but this latest job is a total mess in the closet for wows in and out. They are deep and wide too boot. 28x28

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
It may not be ideal, but you could always apply a cove, 1/4 round, door stop, etc moulding on the three sides that may look cleaner than caulking.

Depending on the situation, you may want a gap all the way around so that the shelving can be removed if needed without having to scrape up the walls and disturb a lot of finished area.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
If the bows are to large for caulk but the shelf is adequately supported, fill the gaps with expanding foam, trim it after it cures, top the foam with latex caulk. If needed you can use hot mud for fill and or topping.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I pin nail my shelves down. They aint moving. Always have
I usually use melamine shelving so it has a prefinished surface and doesn't require painting. Because of this, I use trim head screws so they can be removed for refinishing flooring. Personal preference, though.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I usually cut to fit a little loose , (reasonable scribe) fasten them with a couple of screws, so they can be removed for painting in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts