Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Me, my dad and a new guy helper (not much help) framed and drywalled partions in a new clinic built under a steel frame. 8' walls and no ceilings (drop in later). we hung 80 4x12s in 7 hours. Not so much the next day though

·
Flat and Smooth
288 Posts
They're "your" electricians? You all must have a weird system out there. Here, electricians never see or cross paths with drywall guys, unless it's a commercial job where everything's going on at the same time.
Here in the Midwest there are a few of us tradesmen that actually care about the other trades and what they are doing. If I am driving by a house where elect. are doing a finish out, I will stop and ask them how everything was. Sometimes they say hey you covered a box, sometimes they say they placed a box in the wrong spot. End of the day all is good. The stuff gets fixed, the builder looks good and we all ride off into the sunset:clap:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just finished pieceworking in Western Canada and we were getting .28/foot for 1/2" board. Two of us were boarding about 2500 sq a day. Sometimes less depending on the conditions.

·
Banned
901 Posts
It's an awesome sight when you get a glimpse of one these super-hanger crews that Tim is talking about. It's like watching robots on speed. I've had the pleasure of running across a couple crews like that over the years.

Probably the most amazing feat I have ever witnessed though was a one-man army drywall delivery in Austin, TX in the late '80's. This guy was about 6' 5" with long arms even for his height. He was white and probably weighed 175 pounds soaking wet. This guy loaded the entire house (two-story very high end) by himself at a jaw droping speed. He said he like getting the per sheet price all to himself. I always wondered if he started off with the extra long arms or if they got that way from lugging rock.

·
Registered
843 Posts
MD, they aren't MY electricians, but most of us guys went to high school together and we've known each other for thirty to forty years. We are good friends and communicate with each other. We all have each others' cell phone numbers and we see one another, we chat. So... we look out for the other guy. We live in a small town. Ten thousand in this town and then all work in about a thirty mile radius. We're just a bunch of friendly chaps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Back when I used to hang on a full time basis,We would average 10 sheets an hour,My brother and I.
16 's 12's 10's Etc.
I try to tape full time,but sometimes I will hang also.And still average about the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use this guy sometimes who works like a robot. He loaded out and boarded a 525 square metre (5250 sq ft) house in 2 1/2 days on his own. Paid him just under £1100 for it ($2200). There were a few screws out when we taped it, but it was a tidy job generally. He travels around the country chasing the larger jobs (hotels and offices etc) earning a fortune.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
It's an awesome sight when you get a glimpse of one these super-hanger crews that Tim is talking about. It's like watching robots on speed.
Those Damn Blue Collar Tweekers..By Primus

"I knew a man who hung drywall
He hung it mighty quick
A trip or two to the blue room
Would help him do the trick
His foreman would pat him on the back
Whenever he would come around
'Cause these dammed blue-collar tweekers
Are beloved in this here town.":whistling
Great song

·
Registered
24 Posts
Best guys I ever saw was this little fat guy named "pac-man" and his nephew. These two guys hung 122 sheets glued, screwed and nailed in a day. No corner bead. I thought it was impressive

·
Registered
756 Posts
I tried a new drywall company last week for the basement remodel job I'm running. They hung 45 4x12's and 9 4x8 Densarmor sheets in less than five hours- three guy crew.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2 good rockers can do about 80-100 boards of that type of work, here in Nj/NY I get 12.50 per board to rock and 12.50 to tape..and we use no coat on the corners, beats bead and is better quality..

·
Registered
895 Posts
back when i rocked i could do about 50 -60 sheets a day on average by myself and screwed off plus all little pieces and dura rock but that was using nails on the perimeter and screwing the field we dont use nails at all anymore so its slower for me i fumble around trying to screw off corners . our rocker used to hang by himself 14 foot 5/8ths 54 inch rock And hes not that big of a guy probably 5-9 10 160-170 pounds. im about 6-1 205 he could squash me if he wanted to.
and no i wasnt a tweeker all it took was a pot of coffee in the morning but that doesnt work anymore though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said he and his helper hang 65 sheets a day that is with mudding taping ( or is it taping and mudding ) and sanding. He says " I needs to make $800 a day, gotta pay my helper $200 a day ". I am calling B.S.

what are your thoughts? p.s I know nothing about sheetrocking.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts