Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many sheets per day would you expect a two man crews to be able to get done. Single family - 8 foot ceilings, 1/2" drywall.

Time was spent to order correct size rock ie (2) 12' peices for an 11.5' wall so there isnt a lot of peicing.

Have a drywall lift on site, senco colated screw guns and the standard dewalt drywall guns. A 1/2 day was spent to get the drywall in the right rooms so for the most part it is basicly just rocking.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Each man should be able to hang 35 to 40 sheets an eight hour day. Take out half hour lunch, so working seven and a half hours. That's only five per hour. Sounds easy, huh?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depends on the experience and gumption on the hangers. I don't hang drywall on a daily bases, last job i did i put up 29 sheets myself. Also, take in account with the 29, had had to answer calls from potential customers throughout the day.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Each man should be able to hang 35 to 40 sheets an eight hour day. Take out half hour lunch, so working seven and a half hours. That's only five per hour. Sounds easy, huh?
So you are saying a team of two, 70 sheets? I would be happy if the team of two did 40 sheets.

I have a 150 sheet job which isnt that big that the guys are milking. We are more then a few days in and we are only up to sheet 50.

I normally sub it out by my sub has been really backed up that he offered to finish only if my guys hung since he was too busy. I think he was was trying to teach me a valuable lesson that his prices werent too bad which I already new..

Tomorrow I go to per sheet pricing.. for guys that get about $150 a day normally I just need to set per peice price.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I pay all hangers by the foot. They decide how much they want to make. I pay .21 per foot and I supply all material. I have six guys that hang all the time for me and hang a minimum of 350 sheets a day. Ten hour day. No gaps and no boxes missed. They scrap out into my trailer and sweep the floor and hang all bead.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.21 works out to $10 a sheet for 12'.. That is about what I was thinking.

These guys make between $130-150 a day normally so I want to make sure I am fair and they can hit that...

Using the numbers above they should kill $150 a day, that is okay by me.. I want to be fair but not get killed the other way.

·
Flat and Smooth
288 Posts
I pay all hangers by the foot. They decide how much they want to make. I pay .21 per foot and I supply all material. I have six guys that hang all the time for me and hang a minimum of 350 sheets a day. Ten hour day. No gaps and no boxes missed. They scrap out into my trailer and sweep the floor and hang all bead.
Tim, you keep 6 hangers busy year round? Awesome

And come on....no boxes missed....I'm not even that good on the internet. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
No, they work for other finishers, too. I have them hang ninety to a hundred house a year. They are busy al of the time. I try to give them a two week notice. They jump for me. The other guys pay them .16 per foot. They work an hour away from me. No body in my area knows about them. I am trying to keep them a secret. They have been with me for two years. They make me look good in the respect I am on time. Hard to beat when they can hang for me two days week and I can be right behind them. The contractors think we are heros. Sort of. They still would like it done one day sooner. Isn't that always the case?

·
Flat and Smooth
288 Posts
No, they work for other finishers, too. I have them hang ninety to a hundred house a year. They are busy al of the time. I try to give them a two week notice. They jump for me. The other guys pay them .16 per foot. They work an hour away from me. No body in my area knows about them. I am trying to keep them a secret. They have been with me for two years. They make me look good in the respect I am on time. Hard to beat when they can hang for me two days week and I can be right behind them. The contractors think we are heros. Sort of. They still would like it done one day sooner. Isn't that always the case?

Sounds like we run things very similar. Just not as many projects on my end. We divirsified into the stucco below when I was unable to find more quality builders to drywall for. Seems like the right choice at this time. We shall see.

Nate

PS my guys miss a box somewhere in every third house. I always tell my guys. We need to be friends with the painters first and the sparkys are a close second.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I forgot to answer the missed boxes. I have gone back and uncovered four boxes in the last two years. I don't remember taping any. Seriously. I am spoiled!! They were mad at themselves for the boxes they missed. They actually care about their work. Amazing!! They will call me and tell me how many screws they had to pull because they missed. Might be six or ten or whatever. They haven't hung a whole house yet without pulling a missed screw, but that is their goal. To not miss one. I like those goals.

·
Flat and Smooth
288 Posts
I forgot to answer the missed boxes. I have gone back and uncovered four boxes in the last two years. I don't remember taping any. Seriously. I am spoiled!! They were mad at themselves for the boxes they missed. They actually care about their work. Amazing!! They will call me and tell me how many screws they had to pull because they missed. Might be six or ten or whatever. They haven't hung a whole house yet without pulling a missed screw, but that is their goal. To not miss one. I like those goals.
All that for 21 cents. Dang. You have something very good there.:notworthy:clap:

·
Registered
843 Posts
I looked at your stucco. That is cool stuff. I don't think I have the talent for it. Looks kind of artistic. That is far from me. Wish I could learn it, though.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
Two laborors? I would imagine together they would put in probably 25 sheets, with not so good screws. Thats a big part, it takes me like 45 seconds to screw off a sheet, and someone that doesn't hang like 8 minutes after corrections. Then they just don't flow the same/

I can't even say how many I hang in a day. I do such a diverse set of projects, i mean warehouses, multiplex, custom homes? I did a custom home this year and hung about 15 sheets a day, with another guy. I can put in about 150 on a good warehouse day. Normally tho? Me and one other guy can do 40+ ish on average.

80 for 2 guys in a day is alot above average. Most hangers don't make 100Gs a year plus on their own without good prices.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
. No gaps and no boxes missed.
You must employ a crew of the mythical and elusive drywall hangers who don't cover up a box here and there. :laughing: I seem to have at least one in each house. I would rather think that they do cover up a few here and there, and you just never hear about it. I uncover about 90% of the one's guys bury on me. The other 10% that I don't know exactly where they are, but I know they're there "somewhere" get a phonecall to somebody else.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nice try, but I do know when they cover a box. Every box is marked on the floor. They are very careful. They are not mythical. They are professional hangers. I know each of my electricians and we work close. they used to cut them out and make a mess. Then they started calling me so I could fix if I miss cut when searching. These guys just mark every one on the floor before they start and just don't miss any. I feel fortunate to have guys that care enough.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I know each of my electricians and we work close.
They're "your" electricians? You all must have a weird system out there. Here, electricians never see or cross paths with drywall guys, unless it's a commercial job where everything's going on at the same time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
And how would you be expected to remember where they are? You are, according to your profile, 98 years old. Or are you lying there? Ummm...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts