Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

sheetrock job

5K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  wayne3434 
#1 ·
harlem job they wanted a sheetrock estimate and i gave them a price for labor to sheetrock ,tape and spackle 5 floors 12x4 5/8 rock 246 boards per floor my estimate was 35,000 and they looked at me like i was asking for 5 million. I thought that was a good price then the guy tells me they have $80,000 for labor to do sheetrock,insulation,cabinets,tile,trim,doors and paint. I said goodluck and thats the end of that. I usually dont bid on many commercial jobs but can somebody tell me if that sounds rediculous and is my price way too high.

#3 ·
no its supposed to be luxury apartment building. When we started their were 2 bathrooms each apartment. one was 6' whirlpool tub and other was 5'6 tub. Now they are all 5' standard tubs. They are making everything as cheap as possible now. Its on e124th st

#5 ·
I thought it was real low and if they said yes i was gonna ask for money up front cause they always paylate and i know they wont give any up front.They told me that commercial jobs dont give money up front.I told him that i probably wont do any commercial jobs then. Did u ever hear of this or is this guy trying to bull**** me.

#10 ·
yes on the first job he said 2 weeks and then it went to 4 weeks before i received payment.He wanted the job done fast so i had about 8 guys working and i was putting out all this money to pay all these guys. Ive never had to do that before cause all my jobs are residential mostly.

#11 ·
Basically he is asking you to wait until he gets paid, which means you are financing his job for him. There is absolutely no reason he couldn't have given you enough to cover salary or partial salary until final payment. I only do jobs with no money up front when I am comfortable with the GC. Plus the number he is willing to pay is outrageous.

#16 ·
commercial jobs can be profitable but the risk is higher than residential, with all competition it is even harder to get a fair number. A lot of gc's
are just grabbing a crew of rockers and paying them what a drywall contractor would pay them and cutting out the profit for the drywall contractor.

#17 ·
The guy said 40,000 was good today then we start talking about payment schedule and getting the sheetrock.He said he would order it and give me the bill.I said WHAT? He thought that was the price for material and labor.he said he could get it rocked for 15k or less.

#21 ·
DON'T DO IT !! You will lose your shirt at those numbers. These jobs are not like rocking houses. As the work goes along, there is framing to be buttoned up, insulation etc. NO matter what GC says. It'll slow the guys down. Also these jobs tend to be crowded with material and other subs, and it's a pain to load the material with the boom truck in manhattan. Go after commercial work, but perhaps this is not the right job to begin. sounds like the GC is a bottom feeder as well. The SAME EXACT THING happened to me a few months ago, and i turned the work down. The GC called me to admit he made a big mistake, and that he's bleeding on the job b/c the drywall was underbid and it's causing a major headache. A friend said to me 'Sometimes the best job we get, is the one we didn't get.' Good Luck my friend, and proceed with both eyes open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.