Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though this year as soon as I get to the roof the weather turns to crap. Whether it be -30 degrees with windchill or snowing or raining. I've thought about trying to find some roofer cleats. I'm not sure exactly where to find them. Have any of you tried them?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of something more like a shoe or something to put under my boots to give better grip. I was looking at these http://www.yaktrax.ca/#!pro/ch3w not sure if they are exactly what I would need. Some kind of kicker will be necessary

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Being cold is one thing... but doing sheeting while it snows or rains not a bright idea don't matter what you wear.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Being cold is one thing... but doing sheeting while it snows or rains not a bright idea don't matter what you wear.
Proper planning is key. Never start sheathing a large area prior to a snow storm if you can't complete it. Always better to start right after a storm. Easier to clean off trusses or rafters and then apply dry sheets.

Working in bad weather is not profitable for me. I have done it plenty in the past, but after 30 years, I now would rather work more hours in good weather, and take some time off in December/January.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Warren said:
Working in bad weather is not profitable for me. I have done it plenty in the past, but after 30 years, I now would rather work more hours in good weather, and take some time off in December/January.
If only it were always that easy. We have Total different business scenarios though

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warren said:
Proper planning is key. Never start sheathing a large area prior to a snow storm if you can't complete it. Always better to start right after a storm. Easier to clean off trusses or rafters and then apply dry sheets. Working in bad weather is not profitable for me. I have done it plenty in the past, but after 30 years, I now would rather work more hours in good weather, and take some time off in December/January.
Yah I wish I can take the winter off. But living here that would mean no work for 4 months. The snow usually isn't too much of an issue. Unless of course you're on a roof. I know I've had to wait out a brief snow storm a time or two when one hit while I was on a roof. Not to fun.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yah I wish I can take the winter off. But living here that would mean no work for 4 months. The snow usually isn't too much of an issue. Unless of course you're on a roof. I know I've had to wait out a brief snow storm a time or two when one hit while I was on a roof. Not to fun.
I have been taking 4 months off /year for 25 years plus-what's the problem ??????

It's actually pretty simple to arrange, once you get the hang of it...................
stephen

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pappagor said:
get a lull or a man lift you will never regret it i have both for sheating it is the best thing in the world:clap:
Yeah I'm planning on getting something as soon as I save up enough money for one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pappagor said:
watch the auctions i got my jlg 45e for just over 17000
What year and how many hours on it?

Edit: I just realized that's a man lift I am looking for more of a telehandler if anything

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
What year and how many hours on it?

Edit: I just realized that's a man lift I am looking for more of a telehandler if anything
I bought a Lull last year. I have been framing for 30 years and never owned one.
What was I thinking???

Beg, borrow, steal, whatever it takes, but get one soon.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warren said:
I bought a Lull last year. I have been framing for 30 years and never owned one. What was I thinking??? Beg, borrow, steal, whatever it takes, but get one soon.
I'm hoping to get one within the next year. Right now it's just me and a labourer so a lift would speed us up in moving material alone let alone all the benefits of doing high windows lifting walls, beams, material to the second floor. Getting rid of crane fees and waiting on crane delays.

If only I had the bling to get one now.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
do not put much faith in the hour meter.
my jlg has 1300+ hour and is a 2004 not the the best looking put
you can get a good used t h for under 9000 at auction put you have to do your homework but you will not think it was a bad buy you can do so much more work it is like 2 workers i think i save over 2000 a week all year long and have for a long time

·
Registered
852 Posts
Warren said:
I bought a Lull last year. I have been framing for 30 years and never owned one. What was I thinking??? Beg, borrow, steal, whatever it takes, but get one soon.
Warren,
Glad you are enjoying yours. I know too many crews without them and it just doesn't make sense. They make you money, faster, and builders appreciate them!
Your next problem will be wanting a larger one

1 - 20 of 25 Posts