Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to build a shed, user is thinking 12 x 12 or perhaps a little bigger, but I have some very strict requirements in the housing area and I need some help designing something that will work.

Requirements in neighborhood per covenants

1) No more than 8 feet above grade

2) Must match house - i.e. vinyl siding and shingles - easy enough

and a couple things they need

3) Double doors so you can bring large things in them, like to maximize size if possible as they are over 6 foot and don't want to have to stoop all the time. I would love to just get standard doors to keep price down, but haven't figured out a good way to do the roof.

4) Reasonable pitch, location is Northern Iowa and get plenty of rain and snow.

Let's see your thoughts and ideas.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
So I need to build a shed, user is thinking 12 x 12 or perhaps a little bigger, but I have some very strict requirements in the housing area and I need some help designing something that will work.

Requirements in neighborhood per covenants

1) No more than 8 feet above grade

2) Must match house - i.e. vinyl siding and shingles - easy enough

and a couple things they need

3) Double doors so you can bring large things in them, like to maximize size if possible as they are over 6 foot and don't want to have to stoop all the time. I would love to just get standard doors to keep price down, but haven't figured out a good way to do the roof.

4) Reasonable pitch, location is Northern Iowa and get plenty of rain and snow.

Let's see your thoughts and ideas.
Ok, I am right on it. :whistling

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
eddie, before you get clobbered let me ask you something

your avatar says that you are a GC... but you are asking questions that a 1st year apprentice could answer. hmmmmm kinda makes me think that you might not be a GC?

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
12 x 12 with a max height of 8' might be a tough one.
Go to a truss builder to see if they can build 'frames' for you. Probably a Gambrel roof outline, like a barn.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
12 x 12 with a max height of 8' might be a tough one.
Go to a truss builder to see if they can build 'frames' for you. Probably a Gambrel roof outline, like a barn.
Why pay a truss plant? I don't see sheds being a real moneymaker when they are subbed out.

Should be able to site build these himself. Hell I would instead of paying truss plant.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed. GMOD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.