Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

We recently did a residing job and upon completion the owners asked if we could order some additional siding and reside their small garden shed in the back yard of the home as well. Of course I told them no problem siding the shed, but the doors were going to be a problem. This is a small premade shed (10'x12') it was originally built using T-111 siging with plywood doors reinforced with 2"x4", currently there are 2 doors on the thing in the front one measures 2'wide by 6' tall, the other is 4' x 6'. I need to figure out a solution to replacing these doors with something that will be low maintenance as in does not need to be painted.

I've looked on-line and spoken with all of my regular guys at various lumber yards in my area, and so far the best and only solution I've come up with is to build two new doors out of plywood, then laminate white bath panel, (the plastic/fiberglass stuff which comes in 4x8 sheets) over the plywood. However I have reservations about exposing a product meant for interior use to the elements of nature outside.

My original hope was to find a manufacturer that makes some sort of a vinyl door, but no luck. So how about it guys, anybody got a good suggestion for this problem? I really would like to find a vinyl product that I can be used for this purpose.

·
Registered
302 Posts
housedocs said:
Hey guys,

We recently did a residing job and upon completion the owners asked if we could order some additional siding and reside their small garden shed in the back yard of the home as well. Of course I told them no problem siding the shed, but the doors were going to be a problem. This is a small premade shed (10'x12') it was originally built using T-111 siging with plywood doors reinforced with 2"x4", currently there are 2 doors on the thing in the front one measures 2'wide by 6' tall, the other is 4' x 6'. I need to figure out a solution to replacing these doors with something that will be low maintenance as in does not need to be painted.

I've looked on-line and spoken with all of my regular guys at various lumber yards in my area, and so far the best and only solution I've come up with is to build two new doors out of plywood, then laminate white bath panel, (the plastic/fiberglass stuff which comes in 4x8 sheets) over the plywood. However I have reservations about exposing a product meant for interior use to the elements of nature outside.

My original hope was to find a manufacturer that makes some sort of a vinyl door, but no luck. So how about it guys, anybody got a good suggestion for this problem? I really would like to find a vinyl product that I can be used for this purpose.

Wrap 2x4's with aluminum and side the rest.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've encountered the same situation many time and have resorted to building my own doors and just wrapping the entire thing with aluminum. It is a lengthy process and alot of messing around with all the cap work, but so far all the sets the homies have loved. VERY strudy-ALOT stronger than anything on the market, and they look nice too.

In a nutshell-dont have any pictures, but should snap a few from the last shed we did. basic 2x4 rectangle construction for the main frame, then I'll split it in the center with another 2x4 going horizontal. I'll put a peice of 1/2" OSB on the entire back to tie it all together and make it square and strong. Then I'll make 2 aluminum squares and X the center for support and recess it in the center of the upper and lower parts of the door. Then I'll wrap the remaining wood peices fully with aluminum so the only exposed side is the interior side. I've done variances also with how deep the inset squares are to give the door different depth/character.

Only problem with siding a normal door is all the nails protuding out the back (interior side of the door) looks terrible and even when you bend them over it's still a spot to catch on clothes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IHI said:
I've encountered the same situation many time and have resorted to building my own doors and just wrapping the entire thing with aluminum. It is a lengthy process and alot of messing around with all the cap work, but so far all the sets the homies have loved. VERY strudy-ALOT stronger than anything on the market, and they look nice too.

In a nutshell-dont have any pictures, but should snap a few from the last shed we did. basic 2x4 rectangle construction for the main frame, then I'll split it in the center with another 2x4 going horizontal. I'll put a peice of 1/2" OSB on the entire back to tie it all together and make it square and strong. Then I'll make 2 aluminum squares and X the center for support and recess it in the center of the upper and lower parts of the door. Then I'll wrap the remaining wood peices fully with aluminum so the only exposed side is the interior side. I've done variances also with how deep the inset squares are to give the door different depth/character.

Only problem with siding a normal door is all the nails protuding out the back (interior side of the door) looks terrible and even when you bend them over it's still a spot to catch on clothes.
Had also thought of that as well, just building a door & wrapping it in coil stock, wasn't really too sure how that would look.

The AZEK stuff is way too pricey, 3/8" x 4' x 8' sheet is just over $100 w/tax, personally I don't really don't see it being worth that much in materials.

I'm leaning more & more towards Bob's idea, build a new door, wrap the structural lumber and side the sheeting.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Thats why i didn't have my tool shed vinyl sided when i did my house. I didn't see how they were going to make the doors fly. I still don't after reading everything posted. Thats why i didn't even bother to ask.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Kind of a variation of what I'm talking about, sorry about size of picture but any smaller you'd never see what I was talking about. I'll get a picture this week of that last shed we built for a guys harley and we used this type of door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts