Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend recently gave me a 8x10 steel shed that was just collecting junk. She also gave me the plywood she had under it which was fastened to old pallets for the floor. I took up the plywood yesterday and found that it was 75% rotten:sad: so that plan isn't going to work.

I've got the framing built for the platform and that was all I had budgeted for the project since I assumed the plywood was PT(it had that color on top from age) and it seemed fine until I pulled it up.

My options no are either to spend ~$120 for new 3/4" PT plywood, or I can get rough sawn 1x for ~$20. The top of the decking is a little over a foot off the ground.

If I go with the 1x, I'm thinking of running a layer of 30# felt under the 1x. I may also paint the deck boards with Gardner-Gibson Fence-Post Black-Beauty Fence Paint used for the bottom of fence posts buried in the ground.

I'm planning on wrapping the edges with 4" vycor in either case to protect the edges.

Any thought?

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go with Advantech subflooring before I spent all that on treated plywood.. just my 2 cents.
Edit:
Now that I think about it that probably wouldn't be any cheaper.
The advantech subflooring is actually cheaper per sheet than the PT plywood based on Lowes website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts