Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a job which was damaged in a flood. A few things I am not sure of are:

#1 The bottom of the sheathing has some bad water stains. Is it possible that all the sheathing has to be replaced? It looks like this all around the entire house. I know framing gets wet during construction anyway, but it's never totally submersed under a river. So I am wondering if that will do enough structural damage to the sheathing causing it to lose it's shear.

This is a mobile home, and it's fairly old, so I'm guessing the walls were never designed to be shear walls in the first place. The sheathing looks like some sort of hard board, it's probably just the back end of the siding, because the house has paneled siding.

#2 Second question is, would the electrical need to be replaced? Homeowner claims all the electrical is working fine. But some of the wires had to have been submerged under water during the flood. So I am thinking they all have to be replaced.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
My bigger concern would be mold. The sheathing is probably fine, As long as it was not salt water most of the wiring is probably ok as well. I would clean with a bleach mixture al open exposed areas and change all outlets that where under water. GMOD

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was from a river so it's not salt water. I didn't see or smell mold anywhere, but yeah it probably would be worthwhile to scrub the wall cavities with bleach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts