Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer ordered 5" from Direct Buy and the price was much better then my supplier could get it for. Half the boxes have the same full length pieces while the other boxes have one layer of pieces, while the remainder are full length pieces.

Has anyone encountered so little variation in lengths out of the box? It's work making my layout look pretty.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
same length materials sure make it hard to make a floor look random. Make your starts with cut pieces. When you get to the end, make your cut & take your cutoff back to the other end as a starter.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
We use the same product in a lot of insurance work. We've run into a lot of boxes with full length pieces and then a few with nothing but shorts. They aren't sorting them well at all. You can open multiple boxes at once but you can't open them all.
Same here. I've done several 1500+ sf jobs of that material. A certain big time McMansion builder down here uses it almost exclusively.

Best thing you can do is open multiple boxes at a time (like 6-7) and see what you're working with a couple hundred feet in advance. I set aside short and medium pieces so I can mix them in when needed to get my end joint spacing as good as possible.

If we end up with too many shorts they get burned up in closets, fridge/stove/dishwasher drops, etc. We've had over half of a job laid before we found the first box with shorts in it before... Absolute bullsheet on their QC dept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts