Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my wife likes these and I just want to check with the floor contractors.

I know Shaw purchased Anderson and rebranded them.

Is there any strong reasons not to use Shaw? Is there any strong reason to use a different brand over Shaw?

FYI - It will be Engineered Wood glued to slab (same as the floor being removed which held up well for 13 years prior to our water damage)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm interested also if anyone has a specific recommendation in regard to Shaw.

When I'm doing eng flooring, I go to check the specs (thickness, veneer thickness,#plies and composition, finish etc, even take out a box and see how well/clean fit is, and type of fit (TnG, fancy locking system, random lenght (really several different lengths).

It seems to me each manufacturer put out several qualityies, and those can vary.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Freshly installed shaw camden hills 1/2" engineered 5" hickory T&G. Very pleased. Went in well. Just make sure you keep your boxes mixed. There were a couple boards that had defects but nothing worth complaining about.

Attachments

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
It looks like my wife likes these and I just want to check with the floor contractors.

I know Shaw purchased Anderson and rebranded them.

Is there any strong reasons not to use Shaw? Is there any strong reason to use a different brand over Shaw?

FYI - It will be Engineered Wood glued to slab (same as the floor being removed which held up well for 13 years prior to our water damage)
Just keep in mind the their engineered "Epic" line has the compressed fuzz core. It also has some new system were you staple into the tongue side instead of the groove in nail down applications. I don't think I'd put the epic stuff on concrete but that's just me. Supposedly it handles water better than wood and has an awesomely hard finish on it.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Freshly installed shaw camden hills 1/2" engineered 5" hickory T&G. Very pleased. Went in well. Just make sure you keep your boxes mixed. There were a couple boards that had defects but nothing worth complaining about.
Looks great... Glue down or glue up (regional word for just TnG glued and floating)

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Just keep in mind the their engineered "Epic" line has the compressed fuzz core. It also has some new system were you staple into the tongue side instead of the groove in nail down applications. I don't think I'd put the epic stuff on concrete but that's just me. Supposedly it handles water better than wood and has an awesomely hard finish on it.
How is nailing the tongue new??

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Spencer said:
Nice job.

·
Orlando Car
1,636 Posts
Shaw sucks ! The milling is always off, bowed planks, banana boards, the actual wood is not even close to what other manufacturers have nowadays.. we stopped selling that 13 ,, years ago.. old master products, the Garrison Collection has the best engineered flooring out right now in my opinion..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shaw acquired Anderson in 2007 which is the main manufacturer of their engineered wood. Not sure how relevant reviews of 13+ year of Shaw product is today, but thank you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
FWIW, Anderson is basically run the same way it always was. Shaw has almost nothing to do with that operation. Now Zickgraf is another story. Shaw really gobbled them up. Most wood that has a Shaw label is made by Zickgraf. Pretty dirty how that all went down.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FWIW, Anderson is basically run the same way it always was. Shaw has almost nothing to do with that operation. Now Zickgraf is another story. Shaw really gobbled them up. Most wood that has a Shaw label is made by Zickgraf. Pretty dirty how that all went down.
Does Shaw quality vary greatly? Should you only purchase one from an Anderson manufacturing facility but not Zickgraf? How could I tell and would it even matter?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Anderson's quality control is unparallelled. They only do peeled stuff. I've seen some dry sawn veneer prototypes, but they're into peeled because of the yield you get. They actually have a big lathe in front of their headquarters done up as a piece of art. They're super "green" and always have been. They actually make their own adhesive for laminating panels. It's made from ground up pecan shells. Crazy.

Zickgraf is hollowed out. It's Shaw. A wood mill run by a carpet company. Just sayin'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts