Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched back to single blade razor. Less pressure. Pulling one direction mostly. Applying Nivea skin conditioner afterwards. Been doing this for about 5-6 weeks now. Razor rash has gone away.

What I would like to do is try an electric shaver. What brands,tips can you guys offer? I tried them like twenty yrs ago. Seemed like I could never get that smooth razor shave.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I prefer to be clean shaven, super smooth, no stubble. For me, the best shave is achieved in the shower. I wash my hair and face then brush my teeth and then shave. By the time I shave, my beard is pretty wet. I use Edge Gel and GIllett 4 or 5 blade razor. I get an awesome shave every time. Then I put on some Afta.

My wife bought me a whole kit by the Art of Shaving which is awesome. But that stuff is way too expensive or I'm way too poor to use regularly.

I hate electric razors. They take too long to achieve great results IMO. I guess a lot depends on your beard too.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Shaving? Isn't that something women do?

Before I was a man I used a phillips electric shaver, no razor burn to worry about, fast, no shaving cream but you don't get as close of a shave.

Reactions: greg24k

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I use a Braun series 3 wet-dry shaver and I get very good results. I haven't tried the others that they advertise because they are way out of my budget but I've been very happy with the one that I own.

Reactions: Big Shoe

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Love a straight edge razor shave...Hot towel, the whole 9 yards. Never miss a place if I know they offer that service :thumbsup:
Been thinking of starting to use Double Edge razor at home with the shaving kit, but I don't think it will be happening until I retire, because it takes time especially when on the go... maybe just start using it on the weekends for now, when there is more time to mess with all that involved.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not too many electric guys here. I'll have to do a google search.

And while I'm here. It' funny I'm back to a single blade razor. It seems to work as well as ones I've had with 2,3,4 blades. :blink:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Back when I actually shaved on a regular basis, I used a double edge safety razor, a shaving brush, and shaving soap in a bowl or mug. That combo got me the best shave with the least irritation of anything short of a hot towel barber shave.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,065 Posts
It' funny I'm back to a single blade razor. It seems to work as well as ones I've had with 2,3,4 blades. :blink:
I haven't shaved since 1979, but back then the only major advantage of a multi-blade was that you were a bit less likely to sit down to breakfast with little tufts of toilet paper on your face.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,420 Posts
Been using double bladed razors for a while. I scrape my face every 3 days or so cause I don't need to look beautiful for no one. Don't like what you see? Don't look. I can only get one shave out of them, sometimes I need two just to finish up it pulls so badly.

Dad got me some triple blade razors and these things are great. I can get a couple of weeks out of a razor. I treat them just like I treated the doubles. Same brand too.

Been using Barbasol foam forever. I think I've used 4 or 5 cans since I've been shaving. Goes forever. No aftershave lotion for me. Don't need it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I tried several electric shavers at early age, & couldn't get them to cut without pain. Ended up with Gillette Edge cream, & Gillette Sensor 2 blade system. I used to buy the generic blades, but can now only find Gillette.

I have always had a problem with ingrown hairs when I shave against the grain. :eek:My go to technique is to hold razor at a slant instead of cutting square. That way the cut is a slice instead of a dead pull. Angled cutterheads & router bits work on the same principal. Slicing is a much easier cut, so it don't pull the wisker out as far, & don't burry cut below skin as easily. It takes a little practice, but it works wonders for me!:thumbsup:

I'm with Leo on the every three day or so cut schedule. I'm just glad the "scruff look" in in vogue today!
Joe
Joe

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,420 Posts
There's a look? I just don't care is all.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I haven't touched a razor to my face since October of 2012. I've trimmed my beard a few times, but no shaving. Still have all my stuff just in case I feel the need to shave (probably not gonna happen anytime soon). I'm lucky, my wife likes the beard, my boss doesn't care, and I've never had anything but positive comments from customers.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
After this tread, today I went out and stopped at the Barber shop to if they still offer shaving service, unfortunately they don't, but he gave me a place I will try next week.

I miss the old good day growing up in Brooklyn, every Friday was like a ritual going to Barber shop and getting a nice shave in the morning, you would hang out and BS with the old timers, read the paper, someone will drop by with some swag :laughing:... Dammit, miss the good old days :thumbsup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Other than the initial cost, traditional double blade razors are the cheapest/best shave possible.
A little slower than a plastic razor, but not by much. I can be in an out in 5 minutes. Doesn't compare to a barber but its close.
First couple shaves were a little bloody.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Other than the initial cost, traditional double blade razors are the cheapest/best shave possible.
A little slower than a plastic razor, but not by much. I can be in an out in 5 minutes. Doesn't compare to a barber but its close.
First couple shaves were a little bloody.
Why not use a cut throat?

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
My face has never seen any razor other than electric. I currently have three that were bought at different times. I had a nice cordless Norelco, but I think the battery is toast in that. I also have a cheap Norelco that cuts decently. Absolutely not as close of a shave, but my beard doesn't grow that fast anyway. If I wait too long, I have to shave on back to back days to get good results. Changing the blades once a year is very necessary also.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wanted one, the woman was the buying it so I didn't get a choice. A real one is hard to find anyway, and more work to keep sharp. I just replace the blades on mine, very inexpensive 100 blades/$20.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts