Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a solution on how to remove sharpie marker off of coloured concrete? Our drywallers and plumbers each wrote on a coloured concrete floor that the owner wants to use as the finished floor now. Any ideas?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Magic eraser, failing that methyl hydrate...but I dunno it's effect on concrete.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
No matter what you do there will be tell tale signs, I would recommend just grinding the entire concrete surface and make it uniform looking.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I missed the colored concrete part, sorry.

If your grinding it, is it color thru or just added on the surface? This could pose a problem.

Personally I would have slapped both those trades in the head for not paying attention, but also did you not cover and protect the floor? It's a finished product.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris Johnson said:

If your grinding it, is it color thru or just added on the surface? This could pose a problem.

Personally I would have slapped both those trades in the head for not paying attention, but also did you not cover and protect the floor? It's a finished product.
We got called in for paint and finishing. The owner is the GC and hired out the rest of the subs direct.....but yes, a slap in the head is a good idea all around!

I'll ask the owner but by the rest of the workmanship I'm betting the color was just added to the surface.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris Johnson said:

I'm thinking painting the concrete is going to be the only way to give it a uniform look....

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I absolutely never use a magic marker on a job site. Carpenters pencil is about it, and then only where I'll be covering it up with something.

Even on drywall it's darned hard to cover up.

I hope those sub's have not been paid yet, because someones going to get a bill to fix this.

On many homes I've worked on there is floor protection put down in part to prevent this type of thing, and also to keep the floor from being damaged by dropped tools or gravel etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all! I'll give a few things a shot and let you know! The plumbers were there in early fall so those marks might be tougher to get out! Thanks again
Chris

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Does anyone have a solution on how to remove sharpie marker off of coloured concrete?
It will take another sharpie. Whatever is in that marker that allows the ink to flow in the first place is what you need to dissolve whatever is on the concrete. It's a bit tricky but you'll have to scribble over it with the marker until the old ink starts to loosen up and then you should be able to wipe it up the next moment.

Now please don't go scribbling over the entire floor until you try this and can make it work. :laughing:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Graffiti remover might work. It got sharpie off the side of an industrial generator that got tagged by some punk.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It will take another sharpie. Whatever is in that marker that allows the ink to flow in the first place is what you need to dissolve whatever is on the concrete. It's a bit tricky but you'll have to scribble over it with the marker until the old ink starts to loosen up and then you should be able to wipe it up the next moment.

Now please don't go scribbling over the entire floor until you try this and can make it work. :laughing:
That's what I would try first, also. Odd as it sounds, sharpie is the only thing that removes sharpie. You just need to go real slow and a little bit at a time. Practice on something else first. Mark it and let it dry good, then mark over it and wipe before it drys.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Does anyone have a solution on how to remove sharpie marker off of coloured concrete? Our drywallers and plumbers each wrote on a coloured concrete floor that the owner wants to use as the finished floor now. Any ideas?
I hope you're making them pay for it. Can you say chargeback?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
That's what I would try first, also. Odd as it sounds, sharpie is the only thing that removes sharpie. You just need to go real slow and a little bit at a time. Practice on something else first. Mark it and let it dry good, then mark over it and wipe before it drys.
I've done that before too. Go over it with a Sharpie, then quickly clean with alcohol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What ever solvent that is used to put the dye/ink into solution would probably work best. From Sharpies FAQ web page:

"The black ink in the Fine, Twin Tip, Chisel and Super is permanent ink. The principle solvents are alcohols, but they also contain ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. All other Sharpie ink colors are Permchrome ink. For these the principle solvents are also alcohols, but no glycol ethers are used."

Give Sharpie customer support a call and see what they recommend. They would probably know best.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol is what I usually use, denatured alcohol is a milder solution. Acetone works even better but then you're really going to remove some finish. The problem is that you're working on a somewhat porous surface so you'll probably have to remove a bit of material to get it all. Can we get some pics?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts