Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the day to sharpen my chisels and block plane. I use a guide and an oil stone, which gives me an edge that is adequately sharp for my needs I suppose.

But, I'm thinking of going to the next level and started looking into the Tormek T4 or T7. I'm leaning more towards the T4 for my needs. It looks like an incredible sharpening system.

I was wondering if anyone uses it or had any knowledge of the system.

I'm looking for a fast, semi-idiot proof system to achieve a very sharp edge of chisels, planes and knives.

Thank you in advance.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,710 Posts
I went from a grinding wheel to the scary sharp system with 3/8" plate glass. I prefer a flat bevel over the hollow grind.
I use a Lee Valley jig.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a tormek supergrind and its a great machine but if I didn't also have turning tools to sharpen I would probably save a few bucks and try the grizzly clone or worksharp

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Just got into wet stones and strop. Wondering if a tormek is worth it. If I get something I want to get the best because you know if you don't you'll wish you did in a few years.

I'm new to it but sharpening is kind of addicting. Very satisfying seeing that edge honed and polished.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I went from a grinding wheel to the scary sharp system with 3/8" plate glass. I prefer a flat bevel over the hollow grind.
I use a Lee Valley jig.
A flat grind on a chisel takes too long to sharpen unless you put a micro bevel on it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a tormek supergrind and its a great machine but if I didn't also have turning tools to sharpen I would probably save a few bucks and try the grizzly clone or worksharp
No turning tool now or in my near future. I'll look into the grizzly system. I have two sets of chisels but I still haven't opened the other set yet. I bought it do i could also have sharp when in my bags while sharpening the full set. I only carry three: 1/2 & 3/4, 1" and my block plane, and a blue, demo chisel that just gets touched up with a file or bench grinder.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spend enough time doing everything else, which is why I'm looking for a simple, effective and quick sharpening system: I don't want to spend all of my down time sharpening tool.

If there is no other way than I have no choice. But if spending some money for a quality system will give me the results I'm after, great.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Jon, I just got the Grizzly wheel, a couple waterstones, and a strop.

I also got a honing guide for the micro bevel to be able to make it perfect and consistent. It's very easy to do, and I've never sharpened wood working tool before. I haven't polished the chisel's on the strop yet and they still shave my hair.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,710 Posts
I spend enough time doing everything else, which is why I'm looking for a simple, effective and quick sharpening system: I don't want to spend all of my down time sharpening tool.

If there is no other way than I have no choice. But if spending some money for a quality system will give me the results I'm after, great.
The initial sharpening takes the time. From then on, touching them up goes quickly. Like anything else...the more you do it, the faster it goes.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The Worksharp WS3000 is pretty idiot proof and produces fantastic results. You'll need the wide blade attachment for the planes. The Tormek is probably a better sharpener, but it looks like it has a steeper learning curve.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'd have to do a lot of chisel sharpening to make the Tormek worth while. Pricy sucker with all the attachments.

Reactions: Robie
1 - 20 of 66 Posts