Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY Alert.
Remodeling my kitchen.

However, I do have an electrician coming to install a sub panel in the basement, I am doing the prep work.

Question, strictly NEC;
Can a 15A kitchen lighting only, branch circuit, (drawing less than 600 watts) be used to power a couple of outdoor porch lights and a flood light, (about 350w)?
This is a new circuit. The other existing 15A lighting circuit shares an upstairs bedroom.

There lies my confusion. Of course that was installed in 1958.

I'm not worried about the draw, just if the sharing is allowed.

Since we're on the subject of sharing, while I had the other wall open I added a second 20A circuit to a new laundry room wall recepticle, on a wall that had nothing on it and then shot the cable back to the basement. It will probably never be used as it is on an open wall between the back door and the door to the garage.

The laundry already had a dedicated 20A for the washer and a 30A hard wired dryer.

May I add a receptacle in the basement? Or it there no sharing at all, even on a second circuit?

Thanks for any feedback, but if I'm out of line, could someone please direct me to the DIY Forum, I couldn't find the link.

Thanks again,
D.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
DIY Alert.
Remodeling my kitchen.

However, I do have an electrician coming to install a sub panel in the basement, I am doing the prep work.

Question, strictly NEC;
Can a 15A kitchen lighting only, branch circuit, (drawing less than 600 watts) be used to power a couple of outdoor porch lights and a flood light, (about 350w)?
This is a new circuit. The other existing 15A lighting circuit shares an upstairs bedroom.

There lies my confusion. Of course that was installed in 1958.

I'm not worried about the draw, just if the sharing is allowed.

Since we're on the subject of sharing, while I had the other wall open I added a second 20A circuit to a new laundry room wall recepticle, on a wall that had nothing on it and then shot the cable back to the basement. It will probably never be used as it is on an open wall between the back door and the door to the garage.

The laundry already had a dedicated 20A for the washer and a 30A hard wired dryer.

May I add a receptacle in the basement? Or it there no sharing at all, even on a second circuit?

Thanks for any feedback, but if I'm out of line, could someone please direct me to the DIY Forum, I couldn't find the link.

Thanks again,
D.
From what you've posted, I don't see any issues at all. Just don't tap on to the dedicated laundry circuit or the 2 SABC's for the kitchen receptacles. (unless it's one of the things allowed like a gas range with only an ignitor, fridge, or vent fan)

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, meanwhile my neighbors SIL, an electrician was by earlier and i talked to him about my quandary. He was impressed and said I was on the right track.

From what you've posted, I don't see any issues at all. Just don't tap on to the dedicated laundry circuit or the 2 SABC's for the kitchen receptacles. (unless it's one of the things allowed like a gas range with only an ignitor, fridge, or vent fan)

Thanks Ron, but the manufacturer recommends a 15A dedicated for the range, I guess the clock and indicator lights and oven light puts it over the top.
Manufacturer Recommends 15 or 20A dedicated for fridge, AHJ wants 20.
Dish washer is 20A dedicated, but I thought I read you could share with disposer, but then it wouldn't be dedicated, would it?
AHJ wants 20A dedicated for disposer.
Vent is on microwave... 20A dedicated.

That was the main reason for the sub-panel in basement, there was no way I would be able to fish 7 more cables from the garage to the basement.
There is only a small area between the garage and basement and it's been filling up over the years, 6/3, 10/2 a couple of 12/2's, 14/2, 3 coaxial cable.
I cant wait to see how the electrician gets that honkin' aluminum cable in and down to the sub-panel. :blink:

On the plus side though, at least I can share with the outside lights.

Thanks again guys for your quick and helpful replies.
D.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Thanks guys, meanwhile my neighbors SIL, an electrician was by earlier and i talked to him about my quandary. He was impressed and said I was on the right track.

[/B]

Thanks Ron, but the manufacturer recommends a 15A dedicated for the range, I guess the clock and indicator lights and oven light puts it over the top.
Dish washer is 20A dedicated, but I thought I read you could share with disposer, but then it wouldn't be dedicated, would it?

That was the main reason for the sub-panel in basement, there was no way I would be able to fish 7 more cables from the garage to the basement.
There is only a small area between the garage and basement and it's been filling up over the years, 6/3, 10/2 a couple of 12/2's, 14/2, 3 coaxial cable.
I cant wait to see how the electrician gets that honkin' aluminum cable in and down to the sub-panel. :blink:

On the plus side though, at least I can share with the outside lights.

D.
Keep in mind that the manuals "recommend" dedicated circuits for every single one of their appliances.

You can't put the disposal or dishwasher on the SABC circuits and unless that vent is an absolute monster I stand by what I said.

I do a kitchen per week and spend way too much time pulling specs but I know the lingo and NEC.

Just make sure the microwave is on a dedicated circuit and some of them have been 240V lately so watch that.

Take the advice I've given you or leave it. Es macht nicht.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind that the manuals "recommend" dedicated circuits for every single one of their appliances.

You can't put the disposal or dishwasher on the SABC circuits and unless that vent is an absolute monster I stand by what I said.

I do a kitchen per week and spend way too much time pulling specs but I know the lingo and NEC.

Just make sure the microwave is on a dedicated circuit and some of them have been 240V lately so watch that.

Take the advice I've given you or leave it. Es macht nicht.

Vent is part of the microwave
There was no mention by me, of using any of the SABC circuits for any thing else.
You mentioned the range, fan and fridge

D.
Das macht durchaus etwas!

D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.