Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all honesty, I'm still up in arms about which smartphone is best suited for the building trades (hopefully some of you folks can sway me to a well-informed decision).

What strikes me as very interesting is the new iPhone coming out that will have the A7 processor - the first-ever true 64-bit processor in a mobile phone, and it will have a companion motion processor that replaces several separate sensors and will further take processing load off the CPU.

Does anyone here think this is going to revolutionize the world of smartphones? In my opinion, it sure seems likely.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Umm no, doesn't really sound like a revolution. I think I want a new iPhone though because mine's getting dirty. I'm sick of Verizon too so I'll probably switch back to AT&T. When does this new iPhone come out?

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm no, doesn't really sound like a revolution. I think I want a new iPhone though because mine's getting dirty. I'm sick of Verizon too so I'll probably switch back to AT&T. When does this new iPhone come out?
September 20th.

The thing I see in it is the fact that all current iPhone (and most other phone) processors are 32-bit. 64-bit computing will result in an exponential increase, as well as have more physical memory space with each processor cycle. This appears to be way cool. But, in all honesty, I haven't a clue with how this will play out. I'm not the world's greatest tech guy, ergo the reason I pose this here.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went from a note 2 to a galaxy s4 and its perfect IMO
I've heard that the Galaxy S4 has a feel about it that seems to want to fall apart in your hand, or in other words, it feels cheap and as though it wouldn't hold up well.

I haven't a clue. What do you think about the ruggedness, or quality of its construction?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just love my HTC One X.

Reactions: Jeff G

·
GC/carpenter
44,227 Posts
Jeff G said:
I've heard that the Galaxy S4 has a feel about it that seems to want to fall apart in your hand, or in other words, it feels cheap and as though it wouldn't hold up well.

I haven't a clue. What do you think about the ruggedness, or quality of its construction?
It's an awesome phone it's not as girlie as the iPhone that's for sure. All the Galaxy line are more of a business phone IMO. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

·
pro
850 Posts
I'm up for an upgrade the 28th of this month. My carrier is also giving rebates on trading in your old iPhone so it will only cost me 50$.

So heck yeah I'm trading up. I love the iPhone it's easy to use. I don't game so I don't know if the speed wil make much difference to me but the new IOS7 interface seems well thought out.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm up for an upgrade the 28th of this month. My carrier is also giving rebates on trading in your old iPhone so it will only cost me 50$.

So heck yeah I'm trading up. I love the iPhone it's easy to use. I don't game so I don't know if the speed wil make much difference to me but the new IOS7 interface seems well thought out.
Can't argue with 50 bucks! That would be an excellent deal, given the thing is supposed to sell for around $299 with a 2-year contract ($399 for the 64GB model). Which brings me to ask, you going with the 16, 32, or 64GB storage option? It seems the latter would be best given the nature of the phone, and with a camera capable of taking larger images and the potential for much fatter (bloatware?) software - that extra storage seems it will get burned up in a hurry.

·
GC/carpenter
44,227 Posts
Californiadecks said:
It's an awesome phone it's not as girlie as the iPhone that's for sure. All the Galaxy line are more of a business phone IMO. Doesn't feel cheap at all.
I tried the iPhone once but sent it back before the 15 day buy back period. It wasn't compatible with my brand new 2500 Chevy truck Bluetooth

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Apple seem to be having problems with ideas for the last few years. My die hard apple fanboy Mate has been using ios7 for the last few months. Never expected him to switch from apple but he turned around and said it feels like its ripping my wife's galaxy s4 off. I have heard quite a few people say this but to hear him say it really shows how much they are lagging in new tech. They are adding stuff people ain't interested in but trying to hype it up to get people interested. It's the first time I'm not gonna get a new model of iPhone also. The 5c is a good deal though and I can see this selling more than the 5s. What's also crazy is how many of apples features have been ripped of from Cydia.

The whole 64bit thing is just part of apples hype machine. 99.99% of users wouldn't know if a bit of software is running 32bit or 64bit. As far as I know the 5s still only comes with 1gb so its def not so they can increase the ram. In the future maybe but in my eyes its just another thing no one will notice yet will be hyped beyond belief. Just like the finger print sensor 90% of people can't and won't use.

Adding stuff like larger battery, high res cam, men card slot would be vastly better than 64bit or finger print scanner!

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem with this phone is its the same old boring iphone...

I'm waiting till this fall for the note3. My s3 is still a great phone but I have been working with a mobile blue print app and need the pen...
Excellent point! (and not referring to the pen :jester:) I certainly see the benefit of that.

I wouldn't say, however, the new 5s will be the same boring phone, as it has a 64-bit processor that is unprecedented in mobile phones thus far.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apple seem to be having problems with ideas for the last few years. My die hard apple fanboy Mate has been using ios7 for the last few months. Never expected him to switch from apple but he turned around and said it feels like its ripping my wife's galaxy s4 off. I have heard quite a few people say this but to hear him say it really shows how much they are lagging in new tech. They are adding stuff people ain't interested in but trying to hype it up to get people interested. It's the first time I'm not gonna get a new model of iPhone also. The 5c is a good deal though and I can see this selling more than the 5s. What's also crazy is how many of apples features have been ripped of from Cydia.

The whole 64bit thing is just part of apples hype machine. 99.99% of users wouldn't know if a bit of software is running 32bit or 64bit. As far as I know the 5s still only comes with 1gb so its def not so they can increase the ram. In the future maybe but in my eyes its just another thing no one will notice yet will be hyped beyond belief. Just like the finger print sensor 90% of people can't and won't use.

Adding stuff like larger battery, high res cam, men card slot would be vastly better than 64bit or finger print scanner!
Thanks! That's some very helpful insight. I appreciate you sharing it, as it certainly gives me something to ponder over.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your the kind of customer apple loves. Misinformed and buying into the hype lol
Umm, I wouldn't say that someone inquiring about such a thing in a forum such as this is actually buying into anything. It is my desire is to make an informed decision! Hence, the very reason for posting this inquiry.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Apple makes way too much money by not adding a memory card slot... Cause if you want memory, you pay an outrageous price for it. The phones are nice quality yes, but I agree with Barri, they are not focusing enough on the right hardware. It's all about the presentation...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Apple makes way too much money by not adding a memory card slot... Cause if you want memory, you pay an outrageous price for it. The phones are nice quality yes, but I agree with Barri, they are not focusing enough on the right hardware. It's all about the presentation...
Mark my words the days of expandable memory in phones is nearly done. Google canned it on their devices because app developers would use expandable storage for application functions causing occasional problems and making their products look bad. Also cloud storage is king now...who needs local storage?

The 64 bit processor seems like an unnecessary step in the mobile phone industry but it is a necessary move for the future of desktop replacement smartphones and was going to happen anyway.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.