Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used contracts on every job when I first started but got really lax over time. Need to get back to it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
HammerOn said:
I used contracts on every job when I first started but got really lax over time. Need to get back to it.
I just went to a workshop with a lawyer to help contractors with their contracts. I was amazed at how many things I was wrong with. Sit down with a lawyer that has expertise in construction contracts. Did you know that the permit cost must be disclosed to the client?. I just came up with a number based on the job cost and never thought twice. Sometimes I was a little over and sometimes a little under. If you do not disclose the actual permit cost to them in writing then that is fraud. I had no idea and there are about 199 other things that I had no idea about! This lawyer specializes in destroying contractors and I see why.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just went to a workshop with a lawyer to help contractors with their contracts. I was amazed at how many things I was wrong with. Sit down with a lawyer that has expertise in construction contracts. Did you know that the permit cost must be disclosed to the client?. I just came up with a number based on the job cost and never thought twice. Sometimes I was a little over and sometimes a little under. If you do not disclose the actual permit cost to them in writing then that is fraud. I had no idea and there are about 199 other things that I had no idea about! This lawyer specializes in destroying contractors and I see why.

Ditto on the above, I had no idea how screwed up my agreement was until I sat down with an attorney.

We think these boiler plate templates and all our fancy clauses that we copy and paste are all good, but in reality you need to have an attorney explain what they really mean and how the court has ALREADY ruled on them.

People who cut wood are not contract writers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts