Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

521 - 540 of 554 Posts

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Dont use a brand new greasy moving dolly on white carpet stairs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't, ever, for any reason, do anything negative, to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who or who you are with, or or where you are going, or, or where you've been. Ever. For any reason. Whatsoever.

Also safety is #1, i.e. don't burn the building down.

Finally, if you think you may need it bring, if you think you won't need bring it and if you know you won't need it bring it. When you discover something wasn't brought that you need, claim you didn't really need anyways (then borrow the plumbers, they always have everything).:clap:

Reactions: skyhook

·
Pro
414 Posts
Use two 1/2" self drilling wafer head screws to keep those dam rubber feet from falling off your Dewalt miter box stand.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
When you see a sinkhole on the septic tank dig it up. If you wait a year you'll have to dig 250 gallons of dirty dirt out.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Don't even bring a red chalk line into a home w/ white carpet:whistling:whistling
Made that mistake while subbing for a flooring company. The chalks label states that it will stain, and nothing will get it out. The label is right. You'd think a vac would get it out dry, but no ...

No Bleeding on the carpet:no:
Almost made that mistake while ripping out sheet vinyl. Cutting with left hand (mistake) pushing away from me. Blade popped out of floor, and hand swung around and buried the util knife in my right arm. I was kneeling on "all 3's" so my arm was pumped full of blood. I made it across the carpet and outside before I leaked on the carpet though!

Freaked out my helper so bad he couldn't think straight. Which leads me to my tip: Always teach your helper the difference between a wet rag, and a thinner rag :eek:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Gus Dering said:
Don't let your mutt dog mate with the clients fancy show girl dog, no matter how much you empathize with him.:no:
omg......lmao

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
rofl!!!!!
It didn't burn as much as you'd think it would. I'm pretty level headed though, even when I've just stabbed myself pretty good. I could see how it would freak someone out.

I was way more pissed that when I got to the van I had told him to bring the tools behind me but he left them in the apartment we were working in. Lucky for him, we were in a good area, and they were still there the next morning.

Which brings up yet another tip: If your help can't hold it together over a couple of pints of someone else's blood being spilled - and do what he's told - it's time to find someone else :laughing:

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Don't spend your only day off on the coach watching golf and reading CT while your wife tends to the kids and cleans the house by herself on your anniversary and mothers day. Trust me, your bed is a lot more comfortable than the dog house.

http://www.ohiohomedoctorremodeling.com

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
Don't spend your only day off on the coach watching golf and reading CT while your wife tends to the kids and cleans the house by herself on your anniversary and mothers day. Trust me, your bed is a lot more comfortable than the dog house.

http://www.ohiohomedoctorremodeling.com
Great tip. You must have been married for a while.:laughing:I cleaned the whole house today. Including the Bathrooms.
I could literally drink out of my toilets right now. (been married for 17 years):thumbup:
Happy Mother's Day Honey!!!!:D

-Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had to try my multitool to cut the brass bolts, and it worked!!!!!

The threaded stub was so hot that it embossed the shape of the threads into the vinyl behind the toilet.

And I was afraid of scarring the new toilet with a hack saw.

Willy
This happened to me. I found a solution, just soak a rag and let it sit on top of the bolt. Only tried that a couple of times, because you have to wait for the bolt to cool. I decided to use the mini hacksaw after that incident.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rust is unattractive and sometimes seemingly ruin tools. My lock jaw pliers seized and no longer functioned.

To remove rust, the solution is to take all of your rusty tools or items, and put them in a small bucket as you can fit. Pour vinegar in that bucket to the top, and let it sit for one full day.

come back the next day, and half the rust will already be at the bottom of the bucket, scrub the excess off lightly with a rag. don't let the solution sit more than a day. Repeat if needed. don't let that used vinegar water spill slightly on the driveway. you'll be sorry years later.:whistling

·
Who me?
150 Posts
Never join the family business. It will end any family time. Any time you get together all the talk will be about work.

NEVER, EVER work for the old man. He will treat you like a dumb teenager till the day he dies.

He has been dead for 5 years and I can still hear him yelling.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
For a quick compass, tack a sawzall blade through the hole in the top, put a pencil in a tooth at the correct radius and drag it around into a circle.
A paint stick will also work if you drill a hole at one end and another hole at the specified radius.

·
New Quirky Carpenter
1,341 Posts
ahava said:
Rust is unattractive and sometimes seemingly ruin tools. My lock jaw pliers seized and no longer functioned.

To remove rust, the solution is to take all of your rusty tools or items, and put them in a small bucket as you can fit. Pour vinegar in that bucket to the top, and let it sit for one full day.

come back the next day, and half the rust will already be at the bottom of the bucket, scrub the excess off lightly with a rag. don't let the solution sit more than a day. Repeat if needed. don't let that used vinegar water spill slightly on the driveway. you'll be sorry years later.:whistling
White vinegar can be used for everything!
From cleaning & gardening to getting rust off tools. Thanks!
Have to try that.

521 - 540 of 554 Posts