Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

501 - 520 of 554 Posts

·
Full-time cameleon
35 Posts
When you're laying concrete down concrete slabwork (first troweling) and hand-tooling concrete joints, stick your margin trowel (I like Marshalltown gauging trowels myself) down into the joint at the ends and a few places in the middle, especially at intersecting joints. Butter back over with your groover and it disappears.

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
knipex min. bolt cutters work grate for cutting closet boults on toilets. Did it today.

·
Registered
388 Posts
knipex min. bolt cutters work grate for cutting closet boults on toilets. Did it today.
I had to try my multitool to cut the brass bolts, and it worked!!!!!

The threaded stub was so hot that it embossed the shape of the threads into the vinyl behind the toilet.

And I was afraid of scarring the new toilet with a hack saw.

Willy :party:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't piss off the roof the HO may be under you:laughing: Had to put that one in because I caught someone doing it one time. What a lazy son of a b.

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
Black on Brass save your A$$!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had to try my multitool to cut the brass bolts, and it worked!!!!!

The threaded stub was so hot that it embossed the shape of the threads into the vinyl behind the toilet.

And I was afraid of scarring the new toilet with a hack saw.

Willy :party:
Sioux Chief closet bolts are plastic cut easily and hold 500 lbs.a piece. They do not compromise the integrity of the toilet.
They also make it easier to pull the toilet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks SMatt!! You think they are as good? Strong? I guess on most they would be fine now that I think of it, but are there some situations where you wouldn't use the plastic?

This old school response makes me wonder how many people use plumbers putty, choices in wax rings, etc in setting toilets.

I've pulled and broken off enough rusted steel bolts to know that they are not the end all. I will now consider plastic; thanks!

Willy

·
Registered
204 Posts
yeah, I was working in Mississippi last year and locked my keys in the car. Could not call the wife then! :no: But having an extra key in your wallet is a good idea.

a tip or two:

when working alone and you need to pull a line (especially an angle) on plywood, etc, cut a small kerf in the wood on one end to hold the chalkline. You'll free up your other hand to snap the line.

on the jobsite, old chewing tobacco 'tins' are great for storing chamfer nails or other small fasteners/parts.
Or you can use a nail.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Pulling a toilet, after water is shut off and tank emptied, quickly dump a half full 5 gal bucket of water in the bowl to finish emptying it.
When setting the toilet use extra nuts/washers to secure the bolt to the flange instead of those metal/plastic clips.
You only have to cut part way into the brass bolts and then bend them over to snap them off before putting the caps on.
Don't be the guy that caulks the toilet base to the floor.......

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Dont use a chalk line on carpet.

Reactions: Dirtywhiteboy

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,456 Posts
use a bar clamp to bring twisted and bowed framing members to the blocking (when working alone).
AKA calling in uncle Jed Clampet:whistling

501 - 520 of 554 Posts