Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in on this one? The objective is to jot down a quick tip about any home improvement subject with 50 words or less. I'll go first...

Always seal the top of unglazed tile before grouting. Use a sponge or rag to wipe the tiles with your prefered sealer and let it dry before applying the grout. This will assure the tile doesn't get stained and will make wiping off the excess grout easier.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Good one Ted.

How about always seal the underside of the lip on a particle board/laminate countertop by the sink and where the dishwasher steam hits the part board. I also seal around the sink cut out just in case some moisture can find a way in.

·
Heavy Weight Champ
639 Posts
Sealing must be the word of the day. So many people forget to seal inside the hinge daps or the top or bottom of the door, nullifying the waranty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hold your level on a level ledge and note where the bubble is. Then flip the level over. If the bubble is not in the same place your level is not true. Do the same with verticle and 45 deg. bubbles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duck!

Reactions: JMP

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
the temptation to be a smart a$% is almost overwhelming :D

ok

sometimes when mounting a door hinge, the screw goes off to one side- so I back it out, and tap a sliver of wood (round as possible) into the hole- then put the screw back in...

to find a radius given that you know a cord -

cord length is 36" (a)
measure from the center of the cord to the top of the arc (b) (6")

use 1/2 of a

formual: A squared plus B squared divided by B times two

so 1/2 of A is 18 - 18 squared is 324. six squared is 36. add these you get 360. now divide that by 6 times two -

360/12 = answer is your radius - 30 inches.

it's a long complicated thing, I don't completely understand it- its a pythogorim thing.. but I know it works :D

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
When delivering your scope of work presentation to a prospect who is a chiropractor, don't tell them that you use a real Doctor instead.

Ed

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When delivering your scope of work presentation to a prospect who is a chiropractor, don't tell them that you use a real Doctor instead.

Ed
Roofer, eh? So I'm guessing you speak from experiance.

·
carpenter and builder
204 Posts
When you have to hang six new doors, check first with your dumb**s buddy that the customer hasn't told him she wants the handles as high as possible. If you dont you will have to move all the locks and handles and then plug and repair all the holes you made.

Its ok, i'm over it now.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Yup.

I was "training" another salesman about 20 years ago, and I guess I used the "Romper Room" version of training verbage.

Needless to say, we,(I), didn't get that job. Who-da thunk?

For those who do not remember Romper Room, it was a kids show in the early sixties.

They had a "Do Be" and a "Don't Be" like this segment.

In the later sixties and seventies I tried the doobie version for awhile.

Ed

·
carpenter and builder
204 Posts
When fitting new front door locks (the day after the six doors) remember to check with the same dumb**s buddy that he hasn't forgot to tell you the client wanted the locks fitted in different positions otherwise you will have to move them and then repair the now bigger holes left behind.

·
carpenter and builder
204 Posts
Never ever trust your buddy to tell you anything important in time for it to be useful.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
the temptation to be a smart a$% is almost overwhelming :D

ok

sometimes when mounting a door hinge, the screw goes off to one side- so I back it out, and tap a sliver of wood (round as possible) into the hole- then put the screw back in...

to find a radius given that you know a cord -

cord length is 36" (a)
measure from the center of the cord to the top of the arc (b) (6")

use 1/2 of a

formual: A squared plus B squared divided by B times two

so 1/2 of A is 18 - 18 squared is 324. six squared is 36. add these you get 360. now divide that by 6 times two -

360/12 = answer is your radius - 30 inches.

it's a long complicated thing, I don't completely understand it- its a pythogorim thing.. but I know it works :D
I understand Pythagorean Theorems but what is a "cord" ??

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
a "chord" is a straight line drawn from any two points of degree on the circumference of a circle.

Damn, my geometry teacher was right after all. This will come up sometime in your life.

Ed

1 - 20 of 554 Posts