Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a fireplace to do in that awful "realstone" junk (http://www.realstonesystems.com/nat...in-stone-veneer-shadowstone-charcoal-grey.php).

The owners wanted a really modern look without a mantle. Unfortunately because of the flat screen TV, they need something to block the rising heat. Anyone have any suggestion for something that is modern, and non obtrusive. The FP installers didn't give any minimum depth for this thing but I'm thinking not less than 3"-4"

A black granite or slate comes to mind, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them
Thanks

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean unvented? This is a closed unit, it is vented through the chimney. It throws lots of heat like all gas fireplaces I've seen do.

95% of the fireplaces I do are not traditional masonry fireplaces, they are these same gas inserts. Some are in new construction and send their liner up a wood chimney or out an ABS pipe like a newer gas furnace. Others, like this one, get jammed in an old wood burner and send a liner up the old chimney.

All the ones I've seen throw lots of heat from the face, this rising heat can damage a TV, 99.9% of the time there is a mantle so the heat gets pushed away from the face by the mantle. This fireplace wasn't supposed to have a mantle, the client and designer both wanted a flat look, no mantle, no hearth, with no mantle the rising heat doesn't get blocked by the mantle, so we need to solve this problem

·
Registered
414 Posts
Only briefly read this over but if they are so deadset on no mantle what if you had the stonework and then a recessed area for the television so that the heat would clime the face of the wall without directly hitting the tv

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
How about a piece of 3/8" x 6" flat stock painted grey or black.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Some sort of "ledge" that sits at the bottom of the tv with an angle on it may be enough to dissipate heat from the tv. Made from a solid piece of stone or built with some 1x, and covered with the thin stuff. With a bevel, and sitting so close to the tv it wouldn't look like a mantel per say...

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That may be an idea...bring it up close to the TV so it doesn't look like a mantle.

Wonder what it will look like when the TV is in it's nook? Something to consider, good idea

·
Registered
221 Posts
dom-mas said:
That may be an idea...bring it up close to the TV so it doesn't look like a mantle.

Wonder what it will look like when the TV is in it's nook? Something to consider, good idea
With out knowing the depth of the tv, in my head I'm seeing a 3-4 inch ledge beveled back the the face of the stone. Personally I wouldn't hang a tv without at least an 8-9 inch mantel, lots of heat rise. But I'm not into the "modern" thing either...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts