Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Carpentry
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever install shallow cabinets? Like 18" deep base cabs and even shallower wall cabs.

How did they look?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Depends on the design I guess. I've installed 12" base and uppers on the same wall with a little counter on the base. Mostly in places like a bathroom.

Like I said if it is designed well and flows with the room, perfectly fine.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Agreed.

You can use wall cabinets as base cabinets, in certain situations, as long as you make them look like base cabinets;
Which may mean, building and trimming your own kick-space.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Agreed.

You can use wall cabinets as base cabinets, in certain situations, as long as you make them look like base cabinets;
Which may mean, building and trimming your own kick-space.
I could take a picture but we've done that exact thing in our kitchen to make almost a bar like area. Small kitchen and didn't have a lot of cabinet space and couldn't do full depth. Wall cabinets set on a 2x4 platform to match the toe kick height everywhere else with the taller finished end panels and toe kick across the front makes for a nice looking little cabinet section.

·
Registered
Carpentry
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear. I'm thinking it's easier to cut the backs off standard-depth cabinets though.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Good to hear. I'm thinking it's easier to cut the backs off standard-depth cabinets though.
Depends on what tools you have and how well the cabinets are built.

I've done some cabinet modifications with my track saw and it has been a major time saver and turned out perfect. But you still have to deal with the back panel, shelf pin holes, shelves etc. All depends on what kind of cabinets you're dealing with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts