Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum.

I am bidding a 10 Square shake roof 5:12. 10" expposure shake gable to gable. 30 feet Ridge, real easy roof.

I have never installed shake before, although I have installed slate for 15 years. How many squares do you guys figure in a day. I have no other work right now. I could do with this small job.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I started for a company that all they did was cedar in the late 70's
The expectation was 3 sqs on a steep and 4 on a walk on/ per day.
This was new construction and included bringing up the material, rolling out the paper and hand nailing the material.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
A good cedar shake installer should be able to put down a square an hour. If you have to hand nail deduct some time for that and if you have to personaly carry the shingles up the ladder and to the roof deduct for that as well.

I don't do a lot of cedar shake roofs but when the need would be there to do one the labor to install is typicaly 2-3 times higher than laminate shingles. For tearing off cedar shingles I charge twice as much as asphalt shingles.

I think the worse tear off to date was the 10/12 cut up house with two layers of cedar shakes and a layer of asphalt on top of that. There were so many little nails in the old 3 spaced decking! Luckily the insurance company flipped the bill for that one!

Seen the Mexicans install cedar shingles for one of the big local outifits that do a lot of cedar shakes and they were really fast. Of course there quality is not to be desired.

Last week tore off a 30 square medium shake roof and was able to get every shingle in the 14 yard dump trailer. Of course we seperated out all the 30 pound felt.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
For me, and I am slow, because I don't do it all the time, 4 squares per 8 hours hand nailing and 6-8 squares per 8 hour day gun nailing or stapling, but it has been a long time that I installed any.

Ed

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ed, I would be slow too with the shakes. My crew has done hundreds of shake roofs since the 70's so they normaly install them. My Dad used to sub shake roofs to MN's largest shake installation company until he started inspecting the roofs. Back in the 80's they were charging less for labor than what my Dad could do them for so he tried them.

There is more money to be made in asphalt roofing than cedar shingle/shake roofing from what I've seen. Even Xactimate prices cedar shake roofing low, IMO. By way of comparison I dont' know any roofing contractors that know how to use Xactimate and complain about the asphalt roofing pay.

It is a nice change from asphalt shingles though from time to time and the shakes look so nice after install.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ed, I would be slow too with the shakes. My crew has done hundreds of shake roofs since the 70's so they normaly install them. My Dad used to sub shake roofs to MN's largest shake installation company until he started inspecting the roofs. Back in the 80's they were charging less for labor than what my Dad could do them for so he tried them.

There is more money to be made in asphalt roofing than cedar shingle/shake roofing from what I've seen. Even Xactimate prices cedar shake roofing low, IMO. By way of comparison I dont' know any roofing contractors that know how to use Xactimate and complain about the asphalt roofing pay.

It is a nice change from asphalt shingles though from time to time and the shakes look so nice after install.
From what I have seen Xactimate prices everything low.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
From what I have seen Xactimate prices everything low.
Most local contractors I know say Xactimate pays good for 95% of roofing, ok for siding and bad for windows. Know one guy who adds 5% on top of Xactimate.

If you can get the 10 and 10 with full Xactimate prices it comes out ok in most cases. The trick is to get the right line items for each task.

I think Xactimate pays low for cedar shingle roofing and flat roofing. Adjusters have agreed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most local contractors I know say Xactimate pays good for 95% of roofing, ok for siding and bad for windows. Know one guy who adds 5% on top of Xactimate.

If you can get the 10 and 10 with full Xactimate prices it comes out ok in most cases. The trick is to get the right line items for each task.

I think Xactimate pays low for cedar shingle roofing and flat roofing. Adjusters have agreed.

I'm newer too, it, but you are right about the lines.

I've done well using it and it's paid for it's self.

I put in any line I can, from scaffolding setup to rental equipment I already own.

After using it more, I certainly am going to chase more insurance work. Not at a huge level or anything. I also intend on going through an adjuster course over the winter.

·
Commercial Roofing
99 Posts
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum.

I am bidding a 10 Square shake roof 5:12. 10" expposure shake gable to gable. 30 feet Ridge, real easy roof.

I have never installed shake before, although I have installed slate for 15 years. How many squares do you guys figure in a day. I have no other work right now. I could do with this small job.

Thanks.
Southwest and West Coast wood shinglers typically handnail a square an hour, using a stripper. Staplers and nail guns do not appreciably increase speed--most of the installation time is in selecting the right width piece to put in place, not in nailing it down. Shakes are typically stuffed in a single course 3' to 4' at a time, then nailed.

If you have never installed shakes, don't expect to put on more than about 2-3 square a day at first. If you look at the time spent as a learning experience, take the opportunity and learn to use a nail stripper. There are a lot of jobs out there for good wood shinglers who can hand nail.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.