Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what this all involves, but a PA contractor would like to "use" my NJ license to do a job in this state. What are the legal, tax and liability issues? I'm assuming I would become the general contractor, in name only, in exchange for a percentage of the job. Should I stay away from this?

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
fly by night builders

I’m interested in know what company, about a year ago I had an offer from a company that wanted to build some homes and a few retail stores. I did some research on the company and couldn’t find anything, which led me to believe there where a fly by night operation looking to scam me. I would suggest doing some research on them

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I would think that using your license would make you liable for the job. Unpaid taxes, leins, lawsuits would fall on you as the license holder. A percentage (possably of nothing) doesn't compare to the totality of grief you could possably assume. I'm assuming this was a call from someone you have no history with. Run. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Not sure what this all involves, but a PA contractor would like to "use" my NJ license to do a job in this state. What are the legal, tax and liability issues? I'm assuming I would become the general contractor, in name only, in exchange for a percentage of the job. Should I stay away from this?

You're kidding, right??

Hey, by the way, - - do you think I should let someone borrow my social security number?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have got to be joking! :eek:

Never lend your license to someone from Jersey!

Attachments

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
NJ has licenses? ;)

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
NJ has licenses? ;)

of course we do

why don't you just pick him up? or ask him to have one of his helpers drive him to NJ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
No way , I don't know why the guy doesn't get his own licence #?
I start on a job in NJ next week .
I received my NJ contractors #s in 4 weeks I haven't worked in NJ since the new licence thing started .
The NJ border is 5 miles away so i applied for the #s
I have a hour ride to this new job . Its going to be a long 6 weeks .

·
Registered
148 Posts
No. Do not do it. Never put your name, and livelihood on the line for someone else. This could potentially ruin you if something goes wrong. Too many variables.

·
Scooter
304 Posts
:eek:I can't understand why this would even be considered. Holy shi* gone wrong batman!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stay far away. An out-of-state contractor can't "use" your New Jersey home improvement contractor registration - period. For starters, you'll be participating in a consumer fraud on the customer (and a fraud on the issuer of the building permit, if any). I covered the interplay between the Contractors' Registration Act and the the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act in an article last September on the application of the home improvement practices regulations to the licensed trades, at rjilaw.com.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts