Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Sh I lend NJ license to PA contractor

6284 Views 19 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Haas Builders
Not sure what this all involves, but a PA contractor would like to "use" my NJ license to do a job in this state. What are the legal, tax and liability issues? I'm assuming I would become the general contractor, in name only, in exchange for a percentage of the job. Should I stay away from this?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
fly by night builders

I’m interested in know what company, about a year ago I had an offer from a company that wanted to build some homes and a few retail stores. I did some research on the company and couldn’t find anything, which led me to believe there where a fly by night operation looking to scam me. I would suggest doing some research on them
I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I would think that using your license would make you liable for the job. Unpaid taxes, leins, lawsuits would fall on you as the license holder. A percentage (possably of nothing) doesn't compare to the totality of grief you could possably assume. I'm assuming this was a call from someone you have no history with. Run. Just my 2 cents worth.
I wouldn't let anyone "just use" my license. God forbid something goes wrong, your name will be all over it.
never let anyone use your license to do a job anywhere...I've heard horrible stories about that..understood? NEVER!
Reactions: FrankGi
You're kidding, right??

Hey, by the way, - - do you think I should let someone borrow my social security number?? :rolleyes:
Not sure what this all involves, but a PA contractor would like to "use" my NJ license to do a job in this state. What are the legal, tax and liability issues? I'm assuming I would become the general contractor, in name only, in exchange for a percentage of the job. Should I stay away from this?
You have got to be joking! :eek:

Never lend your license to someone from Jersey!

Attachments

Everybody picks or NJ:rolleyes:
You have got to be joking! :eek:

Never lend your license to someone from Jersey!
of course we do

NJ has licenses? ;)

why don't you just pick him up? or ask him to have one of his helpers drive him to NJ?
No way , I don't know why the guy doesn't get his own licence #?
I start on a job in NJ next week .
I received my NJ contractors #s in 4 weeks I haven't worked in NJ since the new licence thing started .
The NJ border is 5 miles away so i applied for the #s
I have a hour ride to this new job . Its going to be a long 6 weeks .
No. Do not do it. Never put your name, and livelihood on the line for someone else. This could potentially ruin you if something goes wrong. Too many variables.
cheese heads are better than nj ppl how?
Never Lend Your license!!!

NEVER, not EVER! Whatever financial benefit you think you'll get by lending your license is way overshadowed by the risks involved.
:eek:I can't understand why this would even be considered. Holy shi* gone wrong batman!
Could I just "use " your credit card? check book?
It's your name and your life-keep both protected.
I never said, wrote, nor implied cheese heads were better than New Jersey people. That's a conclusion you jumped to all on your own.
cheese heads are better than nj ppl how?
Stay far away. An out-of-state contractor can't "use" your New Jersey home improvement contractor registration - period. For starters, you'll be participating in a consumer fraud on the customer (and a fraud on the issuer of the building permit, if any). I covered the interplay between the Contractors' Registration Act and the the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act in an article last September on the application of the home improvement practices regulations to the licensed trades, at rjilaw.com.
Thanks, all for your posts. Just wanted confirmation as to what my gut was telling me.
Why

Why would you even entertain an idea like that?????:eek:
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.